X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by gharper View Post
    CLE, RLE and TLE are not different trim levels, they designate what motorcycles they will fit. It is the same chassis in essence for all models, with minor changes to the mounting attachment points and brake connections. The wheel, fender, brake, body etc. are for the most part the same. There were a couple different Ultra models which is nothing more than a different seat, windshield and fluff inside the tub. The Ultra models were only in the later TLE models and were designed to match the Ultra Classic trim model on the bike. From my rusty memory, here is what I remember:

CLE fits mid 70's (?) through 84 FLH models, so 4 speed shovel head rigid mounted engine models
    RLE fits 1982 (?) through 1996 or so FXR models, so rubber mounted FXR models, first introduced in 1985
    TLE fits 1980 and up FLT, FLHT etc, so 5 speed rubber mounted FL models. These stopped about 2010 or so when HD stopped making sidecars.

Gene
    Very good answer, thank you very much, let me learn a lot.

Leave a comment:

• gharper
    replied
    CLE, RLE and TLE are not different trim levels, they designate what motorcycles they will fit. It is the same chassis in essence for all models, with minor changes to the mounting attachment points and brake connections. The wheel, fender, brake, body etc. are for the most part the same. There were a couple different Ultra models which is nothing more than a different seat, windshield and fluff inside the tub. The Ultra models were only in the later TLE models and were designed to match the Ultra Classic trim model on the bike. From my rusty memory, here is what I remember:

CLE fits mid 70's (?) through 84 FLH models, so 4 speed shovel head rigid mounted engine models
    RLE fits 1982 (?) through 1996 or so FXR models, so rubber mounted FXR models, first introduced in 1985
    TLE fits 1980 and up FLT, FLHT etc, so 5 speed rubber mounted FL models. These stopped about 2010 or so when HD stopped making sidecars.

Gene

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post

Yes, that's how I understand it.
    Thank you for your explanation. I'll tell him.

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by rustynutz View Post
    1HD86GX17STOXXXXX。Freeman, TLE, CLE, & RLE 表示不同的修剪级别。
    什么 表示不同的修剪级别。?

Leave a comment:

• rustynutz
    replied
    1HD86GX17STOXXXXX. Freeman, TLE, CLE, & RLE indicate different trim levels.

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    I guess TLE.CLE and RLEIs it three different shapes or brands?

Leave a comment:

• joe fxs fxr
    replied
    Originally posted by Freeman View Post

Can I understand it like this? The bike in 1998 and the sidecar in 2006.
    Yes, that's how I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied

There are three models of sidecar, TLE, CLE and RLE, but I don't know the differences. Maybe someone here does?

Your friend's VIN breaks down as a genuine 1998 FLTRI Anniversary Edition with a fuel injected 1340 Evolution engine.

rustynutz
    what are the two letters after 1HD8 in your sidecar VIN? They would have arrived from different plants but could have been ordered as a set. Here are the designations:

Sidecars
    SA CLE Purchased w/FLH
    SD CLE Purchased w/FLH
    SE CLE Separate
    SF TLE Purchased w/FLTC/FLHTC
    SG TLE Separate
    SH CLE Purchased w/FLHX
    GX TLE
    HX RLE
    KX TLE Ultra
    Can I understand it like this? The bike in 1998 and the sidecar in 2006.

Leave a comment:

• joe fxs fxr
    replied
    Originally posted by Freeman View Post

What TLE ?I'll take a picture of the VIN number of the main frame and paste it.
    There are three models of sidecar, TLE, CLE and RLE, but I don't know the differences. Maybe someone here does?

Your friend's VIN breaks down as a genuine 1998 FLTRI Anniversary Edition with a fuel injected 1340 Evolution engine.

rustynutz
    what are the two letters after 1HD8 in your sidecar VIN? They would have arrived from different plants but could have been ordered as a set. Here are the designations:

Sidecars
    SA CLE Purchased w/FLH
    SD CLE Purchased w/FLH
    SE CLE Separate
    SF TLE Purchased w/FLTC/FLHTC
    SG TLE Separate
    SH CLE Purchased w/FLHX
    GX TLE
    HX RLE
    KX TLE Ultra

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by rustynutz View Post
    I bought a new 1995 FLHR and matching sidecar. It didn’t come as a unit. The bike came on a cardboard covered wood crate and the sidecar came on it’s own cardboard covered wood crate, to be assembled at the dealer. The bike and sidecar were shipped from different plants
    Thank you for your reply.

Leave a comment:

• rustynutz
    replied
    I bought a new 1995 FLHR and matching sidecar. It didn’t come as a unit. The bike came on a cardboard covered wood crate and the sidecar came on it’s own cardboard covered wood crate, to be assembled at the dealer. The bike and sidecar were shipped from different plants

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    The VIN on the sidecar shows it as a TLE sidecar purchased separately from the bike. The 6 in the model year position may be 2006?
    What TLE ?I'll take a picture of the VIN number of the main frame and paste it.
    Last edited by Freeman; 09-03-2021, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• joe fxs fxr
    replied
    The VIN on the sidecar shows it as a TLE sidecar purchased separately from the bike. The 6 in the model year position may be 2006?

Leave a comment:

• Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Architect View Post
    I do not think by that year you could buy any bike, but specifically a Road Glide with a side car. I think it would be considered an accessory item for sure. That said, the bike could have been ordered and at the same time the side car ordered with the anniversary paint and then attached at the dealership.

I do not believe they ever left the factory (Road Glides) with a side car attached, always a dealer add.

But if ordered when new and the paint is the same vintage etc, very cool find and nice bit of history.
    Thanks for the reply, it was great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X