Chrome plating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plating question

What chrome plating process are builders doing a restoration using? I am doing a 40 Big Twin. I have been getting different answers to this question. This bike will have the deluxe package. so rims dash handle bars saddle bag plates.horn cover ect.. will be chrome. When I had dropped off the dash and front fender light to be stripped so it could be repaired it had no copper on it. I was asked do i want to use only nickel and then chrome?? or show chrome..with Copper, Nickel and chrome?? I had wanted to have the bike judged and want it to look right for the era..so wich way do I go here?? Is there such a thing as over restored chrome??? I did not really know were on the forum to ask this question so My bad if I am in the wrong thread starter... The help is always appreciated. .Paddy

Copper, Nickel, Chrome is sometimes called triple chrome plating and is the process that most OEM companies used. I believe either process will give you the desired look. Nickel over chrome is cheaper and my understanding is that it is not as durable. I think I would go with the triple chrome on a bike. Chroming anything has become expensive because of environmental compliance and there are fewer people doing it.

Comment

I believe the copper is used as a filler to remove imperfections, so triple will look better.

But, you need some of the restoration guys to answer if that is correct for a 100 point bike. Maybe back then they did have the imperfections, sorry i don't have the answer. And yes, you can definitely OVER restore a motorcycle, just go back to the 90's and look around. Good luck, I hope someone with the correct answer jumps in for you.

Comment

Maybe it's the type of nickel that gives chrome it's whitish or bluish look.

Comment

Actually it is the other way around. It is the blue of chrome that gives nickel its' luster.

Jerry

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
          Maybe it's the type of nickel that gives chrome it's whitish or bluish look.

Comment

Working...
          X