Single stage paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Coats

I've gone back through the original 1925/29/30/31 H.D. Accessory Catalog's I have and all four have the following description on the paint section page.

"Quote"

WHITE TRANSPARENT COPAL
    A high grade copal or white varnish for protecting and finishing re-enameled parts. This is exactly the same grade of copal that we use in putting that high grade finish on our motorcycles and sidecars.

"Unquote"

If the H.D. factory publications of the time claim that they clear finish over their paintwork is this not proof enough that clear coats over your paintwork is acceptible or are we saying that the factory literature of the time didn't tell the truth.

Tommo

Comment

According to the Book of AMCA

Just want to share some info regarding painting: Section VI, line #2 of the AMCA Handbook of Judging states: with regards to paint.....A motorcycle may be painted any authentic color available for the year of manufacture. "Any type of of paint" may be used if the "final appearance simulates the original finish"........Section VI, line #3..."Judges" will accept "factory written proof" of authenticity "without question"...."Verbal opinion" of the owner may be "accepted or rejected" at the "team captain's discretion". (Quotation marks by me to highlight info) Wonder if the Catalogs for later years have the same/similiar notations? Certainly worth seeking out a copy for ones own year bike to show the next Judge who may be leaning to 'rejecting' your 'Verbal Opinion'......Hrdly-Dangrs........PS....Looks like those guys that resist the 'Full Restoration' process have better reading comprehension...Section VI, line #7....Original condition motorcycles are expected to have faded and worn painted surfaces, scratches and other signs of wear and age........Boy, do I have a bike that fits that description!!..

Comment

Working...
      X