101 Scout... going to take a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
    You may want to check with the lower end and trans in the frame with rear wheel before you cut down your new spacer.
    Thats the way the nut should look with the lock tab installed.
    That's where I was headed Tom, finally fitting the engine/gearbox into the frame with the wheel to see how everything lines up. The kicker stud that was in there originally was offset and brazed in place, so I know I'll have to deal with that, too! BTW, there isn't a lock tab washer on the sprocket side on this one, only on the clutch sprocket nut
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Suprised at no lock tab,but I never had a101.I would still put one there.I guess its same as chief.
      Those nuts are prone to loosening even with the tab and I use red locktite just to be sure.
      Enjoying your build,keep posting.
      Tom

Comment

I managed to get the drive gear out tonight. It’s 1.196” from the bearing face to the face of the nut when it’s tighten down ‘hand tight’.

AB24C38F-9A6B-46FD-B846-79F9326DAF9B.jpg

Good luck
        Dana
        web : https://thecastlehillgarage.com/
        Instagram : thecastlehillgarage

Comment

I'm continuing to mock things up to make sure everything goes together, and each new piece added creates a new challenge! I finally finessed, wrangled, and persuaded the front fender to fit and immediately found another issue. I was aware that the frame down tubes in front were bent, I had measured the wheelbase earlier and came up about 3/4" short, but the tank fit and the fender fit...or so I thought.

Discovered that the fender, with the original full length stays in place barely cleared the frame:

And I was already aware of where the problem lay, the down tubes into the fork neck were bent backwards a bit:

So I straightened them:

... and now the tank and the fender both fit correctly!
          Last edited by pisten-bully; 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Nothing like the miracle of hydraulics, Harry. Brilliant solution to a nasty problem. I love your build thread, and the work you have done, and the documentation, and pictures you have taken the time, and trouble to post for us.
            Last edited by exeric; 11-06-2019, 11:03 AM.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Looks just like something I’d have done. Good job. Great thread!

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
              I'm continuing to mock things up to make sure everything goes together, and each new piece added creates a new challenge! I finally finessed, wrangled, and persuaded the front fender to fit and immediately found another issue. I was aware that the frame down tubes in front were bent, I had measured the wheelbase earlier and came up about 3/4" short, but the tank fit and the fender fit...or so I thought.

Discovered that the fender, with the original full length stays in place barely cleared the frame:

And I was already aware of where the problem lay, the down tubes into the fork neck were bent backwards a bit:

So I straightened them:

... and now the tank and the fender both fit correctly!
              Kevin
              https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                Nothing like the miracle of hydraulics, Harry.
                Ahhh... the Porta-Power! Funny thing, I purchased that when my now 40 year old son was 18 and bent the cross member in a 4-wheel drive we had when he hung it up on a stump...he also rolled three different cars! Now he's an airline pilot.... I told him I hope your rolling days are over!

Comment

Ahhh... the Porta-Power! Funny thing, I purchased that when my now 40 year old son was 18 and bent the cross member in a 4-wheel drive we had when he hung it up on a stump...he also rolled three different cars! Now he's an airline pilot.... I told him I hope your rolling days are over!
                  Which airline? Just wondering... ;-)

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post

Kevin

I was thinking the same thing!
                    Nice work Harry!

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                      We all dodged the bullet, he switched from flying people on SW to motorcycle parts on UPS...whew!

Comment

We all dodged the bullet, he switched from flying people on SW to motorcycle parts on UPS...whew!
                        Ah, well then! Thank him for his service!

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

I am wondering about the following: when I made a first attempt to fit the front wheel with the rockers installed I found the spread of the forks is too narrow. The hollow axle requires about 5" of width between the mounting holes and I only have about 4 1/2". So I rigged up a simple way to spread the forks, or actually the axle holes in the rockers, to 5". It didn't really take much force to get there, but when I release I lose almost all that I gained. So my question is, do I continue to spread farther and farther and release, going in 1/2" steps until I get the desired 5" to stay in place, or should I be thinking about some other method? Thanks!

Comment

I am wondering about the following: when I made a first attempt to fit the front wheel with the rockers installed I found the spread of the forks is too narrow. The hollow axle requires about 5" of width between the mounting holes and I only have about 4 1/2". So I rigged up a simple way to spread the forks, or actually the axle holes in the rockers, to 5". It didn't really take much force to get there, but when I release I lose almost all that I gained. So my question is, do I continue to spread farther and farther and release, going in 1/2" steps until I get the desired 5" to stay in place, or should I be thinking about some other method? Thanks!

I am far from being anything but a metal bending hack. Wonder if you need some slight reversed pressure/restraint up further on the forks to delicately allow ever so slight bending and counter act the memory as you expand out from the bottom. Possible another all thread with plates on each end tightened instead of expanded. I wouldn't know where to restrain it in the upper area for the fork - maybe at the point where the rim is? It probably would not take much to change the memory of the steel.

Comment

When you spread the forks out, were the rockers still aligned enough that the axle would pass through them?

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

do I continue to spread farther and farther and release, going in 1/2" steps until I get the desired 5" to stay in place, or should I be thinking about some other method?
                                That works on girders, Harry!

....Cotten
                                PS: I always wanted a 'portapower';
                                Fortunately, this Hen owner brought his own.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-10-2019, 10:49 AM.
                                AMCA #776
                                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                                X