Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Wieland
    replied
    Nice bike - hope you took a ton of pictures. Getting that dampner rod out can be a challenge. You probably will not be able to save it. Stat soaking and them I use heat and a hammer. Worst case you might have to drill the center out of it from the bottom. Only the bottom 1 1/2" is a tight fit.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 11-06-2016, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Well, it doesn't look like much got done, but I did.

I ran the engine up to Paul and Joel at American Cycle Fab. I have early heads (small port), but everything else is 74", so I have this weird homemade manifold. Front head has a big ol' crack from exhaust port to guide, which is apparently common and fixable. (Whew!)

I started stripping the bike so I can get the frame repairs underway. Man, it's slow going. I understand why guys chopped these bikes; there is all sorts of stuff bolted to them and the whole damn bike is a jigsaw puzzle that has to go together in order! I also have no idea how the hell a factory fender gets installed (front especially) without nineteen hands and banged-up paint. I'm glad mine's a bit crusty.

I'm going to find a refrigerator box this week so I can line it and start scrubbing larger items in kerosene. (If I find a kiddie-pool, that would be best, but beggars cannot be choosers. Methinks all the seasonal summer items at Wal*Mart have been put away.)

Now for the "please help me" portion. My damper rod is stuck in place. I tapped at it, and it didn't seem to budge. I don't like to be a roughneck if I don't have to, so I mixed up ATF and kero, and filled 'er up.

Does anyone have any advice for me moving forward?
    Last edited by govmule84; 11-07-2016, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D.A.Bagin
    replied
    I would be ecstatic if I got a project as complete and correct as that. Nice find.

Leave a comment:

• cdndewey
    replied
    It's more correct and complete than the 47 knuckle basket that I picked up.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
    Liam,
    Your 47 knuckle basket is nicer then my 47 knuckle basket.
    The 47 order form has a check box for fender light or fender plate for police bikes, they came both ways.
    The first aid kit was a $9.60 option in 47.
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...e-basket/page5

Jerry
    Holy moly. You're not kidding, that thing was kind of rough. That neck! I'm not so skilled in frame work, so I talked to a buddy yesterday about bringing him mine. I'm a firm believer in having a strong frame to start from. (I'll weld a tab or bungs or something, but I don't have the talent for frame building and tube repair just yet. I mean, I would cut a frame, but it seems like stock-dimension bikes are more to my liking. And I wince when I cut things anymore.)

Originally posted by gurka View Post
    Good luck with your project I'll be watching your progress.If you need any 5$ parts let me know.
    LUCKY AL.
    Thanks, Al. If you have any $5 Knuckle parts, sign me up for them now. Progress will be slow, but I need to stay on my project or I languish. Last night I removed the rear wheel, fender, oil bag, and brake assembly. Tonight I can hopefully pull the front end. The seatpost seems stuck; I gotta look into that and see what's going on. The cracked frame might have something to do with that.

After that it's degrease time... I think I'm gonna go buy a kiddie pool and fill 'er up with some kerosene.

Leave a comment:

• gurka
    replied
    Good luck with your project I'll be watching your progress.If you need any 5$ parts let me know.
    LUCKY AL.

Leave a comment:

• 1950Panhead
    replied
    Liam,
    Your 47 knuckle basket is nicer then my 47 knuckle basket.
    The 47 order form has a check box for fender light or fender plate for police bikes, they came both ways.
    The first aid kit was a $9.60 option in 47.
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...e-basket/page5

Jerry

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    I do. There is a LOT of info in it.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
    Ha!

I do have Palmer's book. We're becoming good friends, that book and I.
    Do you have the new Palmer book that is in two volumes? Much more information.
    http://howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com/

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Ha!

I do have Palmer's book. We're becoming good friends, that book and I.

Leave a comment:

• pisten-bully
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubone View Post
    That is an Indian Headlight Liam, so it will only work when going backwards....
    No, no, no... too confusing explained that way. What Robbie means is that the Indian headlamp is normally in the lead and so the Indian rider is looking backwards to make sure he doesn't lose anybody.

And that is a nice project! Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• exeric
    replied
    As they say; it's not the bike you bought that you'll regret, it's the bike you didn't buy. I think you did well, as it looks very complete, genuine, and funky (which everyone loves these days). Have fun, and keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• ammorest
    replied
    Very nice project bike; looks fairly complete. Possibly some type of law enforcement bike due to the siren cutout on the rear fender, first aid box, and front fender nameplate. You might want to get a copy of Bruce Palmer's book;" How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson". A lot of good info there. You probably know about the meet in Oley, Pa. in April. Great meet!!
    Looking forward to your build and good luck!
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Indian, eh? I was confused when I looked at it, because the bucket doesn't say doodly-squat. It has a sealed beam in it now, but it came with a reflector and a lens that says "Guide" and "Cycle Ray" on it, like I woulda expected on a Knuckle.

Thanks for the help! I got a long way to go, but it's a good start. I have a lot of pieces I need.

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    That is an Indian Headlight Liam, so it will only work when going backwards....
    Nice bike, I have a late '47 myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X