No announcement yet.

Pretending to know what I am doing - 1947 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, fun watching your progress - thanks for sharing your build.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
      Looking good, fun watching your progress - thanks for sharing your build.
      I'm having some fun putting it together. Thanks for watching!

Comment

Joel's coming along nicely on the motor.

Comment

Liam, make sure Joel puts the screw in that pinion shaft if it is threaded for one (can't tell in the picture). Or make sure it has a plug in it, or you will soon be replacing the rod set..
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Liam, make sure Joel puts the screw in that pinion shaft if it is threaded for one (can't tell in the picture). Or make sure it has a plug in it, or you will soon be replacing the rod set..
            Yes sir. I believe my pinion shaft was [**** - REDACTED] poopy-kaka, and Joel had me pop for a new Jim's shaft. I am fairly certain those come with the end screw.

But I will ask him about it.
            Last edited by govmule84; 09-23-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Guess the cam came in...

Comment

Those "think-they're-NOS" heads I traded for are almost ready to go on.

Joel says he's hoping to have the motor in the test chassis and on the dyno Saturday. Hopefully I'm loading an engine into MY chassis pretty soon! From there I have to put the primary together, figure out some sort of exhaust, plumb, wire, and I should be riding...

Comment

Looks great, Govmule84!

But I would still bubble-test the inlet nipples on the bench before assembly, or lay awake at night.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2017, 01:48 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    Looks great, Govmule84!

But I would still bubble-test the inlet nipples on the bench before assembly, or lay awake at night.

....Cotten
                    One of us will for sure. That really is a great way to test 'em, though in fairness I have been able to find all my leaks so far with propane.

Thanks for stopping in. I always enjoyed reading your posts on the other forum we both frequented, and I still appreciate you letting me interview you for that article I did a few years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
                      One of us will for sure. That really is a great way to test 'em, though in fairness I have been able to find all my leaks so far with propane.

Thanks for stopping in. I always enjoyed reading your posts on the other forum we both frequented, and I still appreciate you letting me interview you for that article I did a few years back.
                      But Govmule84,

The whole thing has to be assembled and running for the propane trick, and it won't pin-point the problem if there is one.
                      And it won't detect a tiny leak, which can be the most diabolical.

(One of my locals doing modern bikes uses a CO2 fire extinguisher, and can tell which side of the bike maybe...)

You don't want to take it back apart do you?
                      Better to find it now on the bench?
                      (No bubbles, don't fix it.)

....Cotten
                      PS: Interview?

Article?
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2017, 02:41 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                        But Govmule84,

The whole thing has to be assembled and running for the propane trick, and it won't pin-point the problem if there is one.
                        And it won't detect a tiny leak, which can be the most diabolical.

(One of my locals doing modern bikes uses a CO2 fire extinguisher, and can tell which side of the bike maybe...)

You don't want to take it back apart do you?
                        Better to find it now on the bench?
                        (No bubbles, don't fix it.)

....Cotten
                        PS: Interview? Article?
                        Not to worry! Like I said, one of us will be pressure testing it. I was just mentioning that I have had good luck with propane, too.

And yeah, a few years ago I interviewed you for an article I wrote. I'll PM you to see if I can jog your memory.

Comment

• I admit, Govmule84,

Propane is the best way to check for leakage at the carb/manifold junction, and throttle shaft, as they cannot be bubble-tested.

I just hate for you to assemble twice, when you might sleep better after a check on the bench.

....Cotten
                          PS: I didn't know I did interviews (other than that assault charge thing....)

It better not have a photo of me.

PPS: Got your email... (in my spam filter!)

That was an "interview"?
                          Please remember: "The Yucky Urinal barred me a long time ago for punctuation.
                          Then they barred the “moderator” who barred me, too."
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2017, 03:25 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

• Let's get this baby ready for a drivetrain, huh?

Only needed one little shim at the left rear corner.

Gah, that magneto looks new. I was supposed to have a crunchy-looking one, but things didn't work out. I'll ride it, it will look like garbage soon enough, I'm sure.

No idea what the hell this throttle arm is. The "right" one don't work. (Carb is M74B)

Repop exhaust hung. No muffler right now. I gotta figure something out there with that. Oil lines in place.

Hideous generator in. (Go ahead, Cotten, tell me how ugly it is. I know. I have the original 32E rebuilt and on the shelf.)

Next we're on to primary and clutch... after that I need to hang some tanks, wire it, and start kicking...
                            Last edited by govmule84; 11-18-2017, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Primary is in. I used a reproduction inner primary that came with the bike in as-new condition. Man, what a hunk of junk. The bottom tab didn't/doesn't line up at all, and the OEM outer cover didn't really mate up well to the inner... what a pain. I got it close enough, so that's that for now, I guess.

I loaded in the clutch and buttoned up the primary. I got the tanks hung and the speedo is back on (but like all the handlebar wiring, none of it is hooked up nor functional.) Saddle is on, but I had to order a seat pin for the toggle link. I need some other knick-knacky stuff... an element for the air cleaner, a final drive chain, and my shifter linkage was also kind of all shot. After I install that stuff I need to run a little wire, slam a plate on it, and load it up with fluids...

Comment

• Looks great Liam. The end is in sight!
                                Gah, that magneto looks new. I was supposed to have a crunchy-looking one, but things didn't work out.
                                Why not use the original timer? It will start easier and look better, and run just fine!
                                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                                X