45 41-73 Transmission Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 41-73 Transmission Rebuild

All of my reference material describes installing the clutch gear oil seal with the spring side facing the transmission, but the new oil seals don't have a visible spring. One side of the rubber seal is beveled and one side flat. If I recall correctly the beveled side had the spring and faces the trans. Is this correct?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Rex, do you have a Facebook account? If so, post this question on Resurrection Cycle Works. Steve is an expert on 45's.
    Craig (Delaware)
    Delaware Bay Chapter
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Craig,
      I'm not on Facebook, but Steve is now my exclusive parts source and advisor for my trans build, he solved this mystery and several more. I have a 103 page pdf that a member named Pa on this site sent me which fills in all the missing subtleties not addressed in the reprinted old service manuals. Some of the pictures in the pdf are a bit fuzzy, but a closer look confirmed Steve's direction for the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
        Craig,
        I'm not on Facebook, but Steve is now my exclusive parts source and advisor for my trans build, he solved this mystery and several more. I have a 103 page pdf that a member named Pa on this site sent me which fills in all the missing subtleties not addressed in the reprinted old service manuals. Some of the pictures in the pdf are a bit fuzzy, but a closer look confirmed Steve's direction for the seal.
        Great news Rex! I have a 45 that I want to redo sometime and will have Steve do some if not all the engine and transmission work. Could I possibly get a copy of the .PDF file?
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Do newly produced side cover gaskets need to be soaked in water or is that just for old factory gaskets?

Comment

Is there a publication available with the dimensions of the parts in the 41-73 45 transmission? It seems like I saw at least one blueprint type diagram of a shaft somewhere.

Comment

Some info from the Army service info.
              https://www.hydra-glide.net/joomla/i...4-transmission
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone, I have that book but forgot about the Panhead Flathead site.

I was looking for manufacturing blueprints that indicate correct dimensions of the parts. I'm assembling reproduced parts to other reproduced parts and when they don't fit I don't know which one is wrong. My starter clutch wouldn't slide on to the countershaft splines. Shaft splines not deep enough or starter clutch hole not big enough?

Can't put the side cover on, cluster gear is fully pushed in and have .070 to go to get the cover on. Cluster gear bearing pockets not deep enough or bronze cover bushing flange to thick? I have 3 of those bushings all different flange thicknesses.

Both problems eventually solved by new Samwel cluster gear and counter shaft from Steve at Resurrection Cycle.

Comment

With help from all of you here the transmission internals are fully functional and all fits and tolerances met.

I thought I was done with out of spec parts until I installed the clutch rod and seal assembly. Everything was well lubed but the large rubber seal was extremely difficult to get into the clutch gear bore. The rod went through the small seal OK, but wouldn't go in the large seal until I polished out all the annular grinding marks, then it went but with much more effort than I would prefer. 2 days later it wouldn't move at all and had to be hammered out. The rod OD is .232 and the large seal ID is .203 ID leaving a .029 interference fit.

That seal seriously stuck in there now, I think I'll need to cut it out in pieces.

Is the rod, seal, or both out of spec? What's the fix for this?
                  Last edited by Rex; 04-25-2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X