X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Folks,...

Let me begin with admitting that stitching the original cover to the binding through the original holes would have taken me many painfull hours with what I call a "cattle stitcher", one of those hand-awls with a roll of thread that I used to sew up barbed wire cuts on Herefords.
    (Painfull not only because of crippled hands, but my wife's choice of TV shows that I would have been forced to endure.)

That was my incentive to send it off in the first place, and that part of the job is better than I could have performed without medication.
    I appreciate that, and that service was well earned.

But the rest I leave for your assessment.

....Cotten
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    It took a little patience, Folks,..

But Mr. Arnould made good on my account.
    And the quality was always signature.
    My folks seek out pieces of his work as serious collectibles.

But those were restorations.
    Wayne Hagler's restorations for me were pro quality as well.
    As was Chuck Leipham's.
    But right now my folks want conservations.
    They don't want half to be original, and the other half to look space-age, with nickel spots that look like chrome.

I found three hundred pounds of horse tack in an alley a couple of years ago; Glad I saved all the reins and saddlebag-strap sized scraps before I gave the good stuff away.
    One of my locals recently had a set of bags reconditioned by the same fellow as my seat, and he was as disappointed that his request to keep it authentic was ignored.

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    I sure miss Mark Arnould.
    So do all the people he owes seats and money to.....

Leave a comment:

• Rodger Brandstatter
    replied
    A few weeks ago, I had my '46 Chief Chum-me seat recovered by Wayne at Heather's Leathers. I told him I wanted it to be as close to original as possible. I sent him my powdercoated seat pan and handrails and had it back in 8 days. The workmanship was great, and the cost was very reasonable. Wayne was very good to deal with, and I would highly recommend him.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    I don't believe he is here to defend himself, VPH-D,..

So I will only note also that the skirt sticks straight out at the back, instead of curving downward like an original. It looks like a 1990s Tedd Cycle seat.

Every rivet upon the binding strip has a tooling scar.

I sure miss Mark Arnould.

....Cotten
    PS: I should probably make it clear that this is a Royalite seat, and not leather.
    Many in the industry won't touch them.

Leave a comment:

• 49 pan
    replied
    Michael at Worsham did my 49-HD bags I sent him my orig hardware and they look NOS -------Wonderful work and a nice man

Dick in Eustis

Leave a comment:

• vph-d
    replied
    Cotten,
    Who did this shabby work?
    VPH-D

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Harleytoprock!

Just imagine daylight between the skirt and seat in two places, rosettes poked badly off-center, and un-touched paint specks that I thought a pro could handle better than I.

It wasn't cheap, but it isn't going back either.

I should have sent it to The Saddleshop.

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• harleytoprock
    replied
    Cotten, Can we see a picture of this disappointment?

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Folks,...

At risk of being more annoying than usual...

I recently received a "conservation" back that I anxiously awaited.

Thank goodness it wasn't for a customer, but for myself.

Sixty seconds upon opening the box, I could only toss it back on the wall without looking further for faults beyond the obvious.

I still cannot walk by it without a pit in my stomach.
    (And no, no way in blazes will I send it back.)

At this point, I wish I had specialized in seats and saddlebags so many years ago instead of carburetors and manifolds, as someday I shall have to finish this one.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rbc
    replied
    God bless Howard.[/QUOTE]

I want to second that thought.

Leave a comment:

• len dowe
    replied
    Go for it Tom. Nothing wrong with a good debate as long as everybody is civil about it. You gotta have thick skin messing with this Vintage iron.
    Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Good question, Len!

I won't list my disappointments.

Can we make a distinction between "restorations", and serious "conservations"?

...Cotten

Leave a comment:

• sirhrmechanic
    replied
    I have had work done by Worsham Castle and it is just superb. I believe they do both full re-coverings and can also do conservation. I have had them do two re-coverings and love the work. So can't speak about their conservation work.

I was told this past weekend that Heathers Leathers is really first rate for Indian seats... but have no first hand experience. I am going to give them a try for my '38 Chief seat.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Good question, Len!

I won't list my disappointments.

Can we make a distinction between "restorations", and serious "conservations"?

...Cotten

Leave a comment:

• bselph
    replied
    Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle is outstanding!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X