This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
    It looks like a land speed cycle in front of the two fellows at Triumph - Detroit.

Mike Love
    Yes Mike, it's World Record Holder Gyronaut X-1. Bob Leppan--on right. Owner of Detroit Triumph. On left is Jim Bruflodt--Leppans right hand Man.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
      Yes Mike, it's World Record Holder Gyronaut X-1. Bob Leppan--on right. Owner of Detroit Triumph. On left is Jim Bruflodt--Leppans right hand Man.

*M.A.D.*
      Very cool. I will need to look into Bob's speedy endeavors.

Mike Love

Comment

A few more.

kwJ0mu.jpg

tumblr_nn9hq3DdiX1sh016ho1_1280_zpscw7ukkpd.jpg

One that's been 'colorized'...

Sxoug5.jpg

Comment

The vintage pic is Walter Kreft, on his voyage to California in 1937, on his new '36 Chief. The color pic is a pic of my '36 Chief, Which I painted in a tribute color scheme, in rememberance to Mr. Kreft. I bought a '47 Chief from Mr. Kreft in 1997, when I resurected my passion for Indians, after an 18 year hiatius, raising my kids. The color pic was taken at an AMCA Road Run in Groveland, CA, Yosemite Run 2007.Walter Kreft, 1936 Indian Chief.jpg'36 Blue Chief, c.15.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
            The vintage pic is Walter Kreft, on his voyage to California in 1937, on his new '36 Chief. The color pic is a pic of my '36 Chief, Which I painted in a tribute color scheme, in rememberance to Mr. Kreft. I bought a '47 Chief from Mr. Kreft in 1997, when I resurected my passion for Indians, after an 18 year hiatius, raising my kids. The color pic was taken at an AMCA Road Run in Groveland, CA, Yosemite Run 2007.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29514[/ATTACH]
            Love it - a story with every photo. Thanks ChiefTwoKicks I am going to learn more about Mr. Kreft as I also learned more this morning about Bob Leppan, the owner of Triumph Detroit, and his mechanic, Jim Bruflodt, and Alex Tumulis the designer of Gyronaut X-1. Great article about the restoration of Gyronaut X-1 in Hemmings at this link https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...er-restoration

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
              The vintage pic is Walter Kreft, on his voyage to California in 1937, on his new '36 Chief. The color pic is a pic of my '36 Chief, Which I painted in a tribute color scheme, in rememberance to Mr. Kreft. [ATTACH=CONFIG]29513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29514[/ATTACH]
              ChiefTwoKicks - do you have any details on Walter Kreft's trec to California on his new 1936 H-D? I did find a brief obituary of his passing at age 94 and that he owned and operated Walt & Carl's Motorcycle Shop in Sonora, CA.

Mike Love

Comment

I only have a few MC related family pics. Here's my Mom in 1950 or so.
                (It's my Mom now boys so keep the 'high-beam' comments to a minimum.)
                Scan_20200911 (2).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by droptopford View Post
                  I only have a few MC related family pics. Here's my Mom in 1950 or so.
                  (It's my Mom now boys so keep the 'high-beam' comments to a minimum.)
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]29516[/ATTACH]
                  More power to Mom DropTopFord.

Mike Love

Comment

My Mom found these among a bunch of family photos.

H-D 2.jpg

H-D.jpg

Dale

Comment

• Since its now about family, Folks,...

Only recently have I learned the young lady in this pic is 'Laura White',
                      and the photo taken around Seattle.

The rider is ninety-six now I think, and my daughter says they give his cancer a week.

....Cotten
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM.
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Originally posted by painterdale View Post
                        My Mom found these among a bunch of family photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29519[/ATTACH]

Dale
                        Sure nice to have that family tradition.

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                          ChiefTwoKicks - do you have any details on Walter Kreft's trec to California on his new 1936 H-D? I did find a brief obituary of his passing at age 94 and that he owned and operated Walt & Carl's Motorcycle Shop in Sonora, CA.

Mike Love
                          Thanks, Mike. Yes, I bought a rolling basket '47 Chief from Mr. Kreft back in 1997. He told me he was a former motorcycle shop owner. He also told me, when I called him about buying the bike... "I just wanted to build one more bike before I croaked". Man, I jumped in the truck and hauled ass up to Tuttletown, CA (just outside Sorona) aas it was about a 6 hour drive up north. I got there just before dark, and we struck a deal. At the time, I was lucky to find a skirted Chief for under 6 grand. I remember his ad in Walnecks. It said... "'47 Chief, new motor, fresh paint." That's it. Although the bike was not all that. The motor had freshly honed barrels and a new spray-can two tone paint job. Oh, yea... Indian hubs laced to Harley 16's, and a big old school Harley "couch" for a seat. No bars, and tanks that leaked. Really quite a mess. But when I got it back to Taft,CA. where I worked, my work friends asked me why I bought it. I told them it was "mostly" together, and when I was done with it, I could get it started in two kicks !! They laughed at me, so I bet them (all 5 of them) a steak dinner every Friday nite if I lost the bet !! Actually, I was pretty confident, I had a '46 years earlier as a pup. Anyway, I won the Bet !! Hence, the moniker "ChiefTwoKicks"... I thought I should carry on the story as it's sort of a bit of "Indian" lore... at least in Taft !! You'd have to work there to understand that part. Anyway, you asked, so there you have it .
                          Happy to see some of the "Vintage Pictures of the Day"... along with a few stories of yesteryear. Roger

Comment

• pops H-D.jpg My pop and his buddys around 1950,he is the one wearing the and holding the stick.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - September 12, 2020

IMG_4861.jpg

Back to a photo from Lewis Reed - a selfie on North Market Street in Frederick MD.

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]29521[/ATTACH] My pop and his buddys around 1950,he is the one wearing the and holding the stick.
                                With the classic hat of the day. Did he continue to have motorcycles?

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X