Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this large photo at a yard sale. The picture was taken in Olympia, WA around 1910 or so but I don’t know the manufacturer of the motorcycle. Anyone recognize?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Vintage Pics of the Day - December 9, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.48.28 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Google translate says the phrase at the bottom is Dutch, is it? Or is it Czech? The Google Dutch Translation to English says "Machines, behind which beers - service stands!" The word "beers" in Dutch means "bear."

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post

This from Starklite.Com Bob Stark's business website https://starklite.com/wp-content/upl...1-facts-f2.pdf This was the downloadable full book document in PDF for the Indian 841. Bob apparently teamed with Sam Pierce who work on a number of innovations of Indians. In a blog Applied Machete writing about the American Rocket an Indian modified from the Indian base 841 platform said Sam Pierce must have acquired a "sh!tload" of surplus 841 frames and parts.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.53.29 AM copy.jpg
          I was just able to successfully log on to the new forum. I noticed picture #340 of the skirted fender 841 Indian. I am the second owner of a skirted fender 841. The first owner bought it brand new from the Indian dealer in about 1948.with skirted fenders. The dealer had 2 of them. Apparently the factory still had about 50 841's after the war and nobody wanted military bikes so the factory civilianized them so they would be easier to sell. .An old gentleman from Springfield who once worked at the factory said that his job was to civilianize these left over military bikes..
          Tom

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - December 10, 2020

Forum member purplepanhead is looking for his dad's FLH. Purplepanhead has started this search as a different kind of Member Bike Build Thread. Follow this build as he traces down leads to find this antique motorcycle starting in the Pittsburg area. https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...different-sort

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.34.39 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love
            Last edited by ihrescue; 12-10-2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• A couple more vintage ads. No translation required.

7c256d1583845efce234506c895db167_zpsaokfxr9o.jpg1941chief_zps9fb3ab8e.jpg
              Last edited by droptopford; 12-10-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C.Flint View Post
                Found this large photo at a yard sale. The picture was taken in Olympia, WA around 1910 or so but I don’t know the manufacturer of the motorcycle. Anyone recognize?
                That is a Minneapolis motorcycle of 1910, powered by a Thor motor. They had their own motor in 1911. Minneapolis' were unique in so many ways and very innovative. The 1911 was a side valve, unit construction motor with a 2 speed transmission. They beat everyone to the punch with that engine. Thanks for the picture of an extremely rare Minneapolis, C.Flint.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - December 11, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.05.39 AM copy.jpg

Comment

• The picture above is a 1917 Indian. This attached picture was from a multi-color advertisement from WW1 era, and probably a 1918 model PowerPlus. inh.jpg .
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - December 12, 2020

Its 1926 - there's Fred Osborne, what looks like an Henderson 4 cilinder, a nice flat run way, a parachute and a 200 foot cliff overlooking a Los Angelos roadway. Hmmmm - of course, we'll jump it.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.26.15 AM copy.jpg

See the video here

Comment

• That's a 1917 Henderson. I seem to recall a follow up article from a newspaper of the time and it did not go well for Mr. Osborn. The shot of him smiling at the end of the film clip was taken before the jump.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

• Here is one follow up article from Popular Science.

fred osborn jump.jpg
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - December 13, 2020

Outside of the Cycle shop a group gathered

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.22.17 AM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.23.07 AM copy.jpg

In the top photo the fella looking at the Indian Hill-Climber has a pretty stern expression. I wonder what was up?

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              Here is one follow up article from Popular Science.

fred osborn jump.jpg
                              Thanks for that great follow-up Eric. The one thing clear about Mr. Osborne is that he had been into enough rough spots to loose his four (or more) front teeth. Trial and error is not the best way to learn but it is one way and this episode certain has its share of learning opportunities. When I saw this it made me think of the guys that push the boundaries and we just lost a great one this week in Chuck Yeager,

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pics of the Day - December 14, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 8.03.16 AM copy.jpg

The rider in the center sure did get his money out of those front tires. What a great portrait this is.

Mike love

Comment

Working...
                                X