Herbert Wagner, H-D 30-41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbert Wagner, H-D 30-41

I'm tired of seeing my previous post about Don Emde's 'The Speed Kings' as I scroll through the topics. I would like to mention one of my all time favorite Harley-Davidson books (actually, my favorite); Herbert Wagner's 'Harley-Davidson 1930-1941'. Every time I open this book, I'm stuck for over an hour, and that's a lot of bathroom time. Get this book for your library, or bathroom; you won't regret it.

wagner.jpg
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Howdy Eric,

Back in 90-91 there was an OP blue 47 Knuckle, low mileage from W Va (I think) for only $7,500 at the monstrous Volusia county fairgrounds swap meet which as a young whippersnapper stretched out running Porsches and restoring Indians I could not remotely afford it but pined away frustratingly for the entire week of viewing it on display at various Bike Week locations but knowing it was not to be. Herbert’s book fortified me in the interim until one day I got my own cruiser green 41 FLH 20 years later. Not OP or now low mileage (ride’n the wheels off it) it’ll be at the donkey barn here shortly and I still have post it notes stuck in the various pages of Herbert’s tome 30 years later.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I'll be there too, Peter. The plan is to sell some junk, maybe a few good parts, and look for a Triumph.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

'Guys who rode motorcycles, not bar stools, or slogans" indeed, a wonderful book...
        VPH-D

Comment

I can't remember reading ANY book cover-to-cover in the last three decades,...

Except this one.

....Cotten
          PS: I sold a bunch too. Thanks Mr. Wagner!
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I just bought a copy of this book on Ebay for $19.99. And it's a signed copy ! I can't put it down !!

Comment

Eric, took your advice, and bought a copy. Best read i've had. And I totally agree, an hour in the bathroom is a lot of time!

Comment

Thanks, I just put it on my Amazon wishlist. One of my kids will give it to me for Father's day (or Christmas).
                AMCA #41287
                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Some books are way better than others. All help if you can separate the chaff from the wheat, Herbert's are at the top level.
                  DCP_4766.JPGDCP_4763.JPGDCP_4765.JPGDCP_4764.JPGDCP_4767.JPG
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I really enjoyed Herbert Wagner's article 'Infernal Machines' in the latest issue of our club magazine. What a great writer Mr. Wagner is and I was hoping that was just part 1 of an on-going series. I guess we'll see. On a sad note, our prolific writer/historian Jerry Hatfield passed away. Heart breaking to see a great information digger, and contributor to our rich, and amazing motorcycle history move on.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

I agree Eric. Sorry to hear of the passing of Jerry Hatfield.

I talked to Herb this week and he is doing good. Wait to you read his next story. I think you're gonna be surprised. The average person just can't understand how many hours of research goes into writing his articles.

Comment

A Herbert article is the only reason I would crack the back on an issue, Folks!

And sad to hear about Mr. Hatfield, as he certainly formed some foundation for what's left of the industry, much less the hobby.

Lucky I was to meet him at Davenport many years ago; He chose not to keep in touch.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                        X