• Show
Clear All

• Steve Swan
    replied
    yes, your 31 is gorgeous Steve!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Slocombe
    replied
    Thanks for the nice words guys. That bike is on the back cover of Volume 1 of The VL Years, and also featured in the Antique Motorcycle article '100 mph on a VL' from a while back. That stock 1930 made 85 mph on the airfield, authenticating Harley top speed estimates, while my breathed-on 1934 bobber was electronically timed at 103 mph.

Leave a comment:

• exeric
    replied
    Your 1930 VL is gorgeous, Steve. I'm not a big fan of saddlebags (other than for utility) but those bags really compliment your beautifully done VL.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    That's a NICE looking 1930 Steve!!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Slocombe
    replied
    Here's a picture of a repro set on my 1930 VL a few years ago, with repro bags from the Carolinas I think.30VL11955left.JPG

They still appear in the 1941 accessory catalog as the Utility Saddle Bags, priced at $7.55 a pair and with the part number 11785-X, with the X meaning they fitted much earlier bikes. The chrome 'towel rail' bag holders are $1.90 for a set of four, part number 11794-X.

Leave a comment:

• camsaure
    started a topic JD-VL saddlebags

JD-VL saddlebags

How about some pictures of the early JD/VL saddlebags? What year were they first introduced? Is anyone reproducing them? I do have a picture of them in a 1930 dealer accessory catalog. In that year they came in faux Alligator hide. That is about all I know about them.
Working...
X