Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Chief Regulator Installation - help

Hello,
    Well, we finally got our 48 Chief to charge the battery (see previous thread) and went for a fairly long ride. On the last few miles home the red charging dash light stayed on. We purchased a new 2-stage regulator, any tips on installing it? I assume the terminal marked Bat goes to the battery? What do we do with the lead for the dash light? The original regulator has a terminal for it, but the new one does not.
    Thanks very much!

You should have two wires coming out of the generator. One, from the field coils goes to the terminal marked F on the underside of the regulator. The other from the positive brush, goes to the terminal marked A (for armature) on the underside of the regulator. The Bat terminal sticks out the side of the regulator and goes to the battery. If you look closely at your old regulator you'll see the S (signal?) terminal that the dash light was connected to is physically the same terminal as the A terminal. So - on a regulator without an S terminal just hook the light to the A terminal ... Perry

Comment

Thank you Perry

Perry, your advice and explainations have been very helpful. Even though I have been working on old Indians and Harleys for many years, I never had a grasp on how the charging systems worked! You put it all into words, that finally made it all make sense!
      Thanks for making my day!
      Cheers, Patrice

Comment

Working...
      X