'41 Scout Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '41 Scout Project

Well, thanks to Paul, maybe I'll be able to post these pictures finally.

This is a '41 project that I traded for a BSA Lightning and some cash awhile back. I was lucky enough to get a fairly complete bike. There are still a few parts to be gathered and the trained eye will say that I have a fair bit of work to do. I would be the first one to agree. The motor and tranny need a complete overhaul. I also ended up with a set of '35 cases and haven't been able to find a decent set of '41's as of yet. I've debated on putting the motor together as is, but also think it may be a lot of work to go ahead and have to change down the road. Time will tell I guess.

Admin-Guy was the first one to ride the beast at the O'Keefe rally last summer. It was probably the quietest flathead on the ranch that weekend, powered by Ford it was! I've had a BSA project in front of this and now that I'm nearly finished I will be able to focus a little more attention on the little Indian.

If anyone out there has any tricks, tech-tips or other secrets on working on this beast I would gladly listen. Patience is the key I think to a project like this, but with Paul spreading around "Scout Fever" I have to admit I'm infected! I'll soapbox it down my street now and then until I can actually have it fire under it's own power. It makes the neighbors wonder, but hey it gives me that old time feeling! I'd be greatful for any feedback. Thanks!

Cory

Let's try this again.
    Attached Files

Comment

And one more. These are the best pics I have for now.
      Attached Files

Comment

If I find 41 cases I'll swap for your 36. Are yours in good shape? Have you looked for cracks around/under eng primary sprocket? The houseing should be solid. Noted to crack.

Comment

NICE PICS! Keep them comimng!

Comment

Cool Admin-Guy an extra set of eyes are always helpful! I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure they are crack free. A couple of the ears around the holes to button the cases together will need some attention. If it ever comes to it I can e-mail pics for your examination!

Thanks in-line4nut for the feedback! Have you got any Indian 4 pics to post? The Scouts are cool, but those 4's are the cadillacs!

Comment

will do but just dont have the time rite now sorry!

Comment

Right on I'll be waiting in anticipation!

Comment

HEY!!!! I need stroker cases! anyone?

Comment

AdminGuy,
                    Wouldnt it be easier to list what YOU DONT need!......Just joking! Thought a little humor was inline!

Comment

Hey Admin-Guy are you thinking of stroking the bobber already or do you have another project on the go that we should know about? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Comment

inline4 - Ha! Your killing me. I don't have a mill or a lath - so I lumber along painfully bugging guys who I know, who have. It's a huge pain.

Cory- old and wiser fellas have told me to build a second motor. I have some of it. This will enable me to build a full blown stroker 57 with all the modern tricks I can jam in it. I love to look at what guys did 55yrs ago to these engines. Really cool. At the same time keeping my stock motor handy for a quick switch if problems arise. Little down time this way. Honestly I also need to familiarize myself with the bike, the motor, and generally give it a good shake down - get used to riding it.

I was thinking it would be great fun to pull a switch overnight on a road run. Smoke the fellas that had me licked the previous day. Shhhhh...top secret.

Also looks like another Sport Scout racer or two are brewing in the hood. So it would be great fun to "run what I brung" (on trailer) to a few local flat track get togethers. HD VS IND 45s. Not super competitive. Just good fun with friends. Put on a little show.

Phase two:
                        Free wheel fr spindle alum., risers/bars, pegs, suiside clutch, quick and ugly fiberglass jr scout tanks, cheap dropped seat, jockey shifter. Stuff I can bolt on quickly.

Phase three: the Iron Horse Corral sheet metal.

I waited along time to get my hands on one of these. So I'm trying to make the most of what I've got. Maximum fun!

Comment

I gotta give you credit Paul, your really into this! That kind of enthusiasim is great to see. Not to mention a pretty wise move with back up. I like your "sleeper" idea. It would screw up a few faces when you played smoke the WR the next day kind of thing.
                          But, don't worry I won't tell anyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X