X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colours, striping and decals on 17-F

Hello
    I notice that the topic has been touched by the forum already but anyway:
    I am looking for some information regarding correct colours, striping and decals for a HD 17-F 61” (1917 magneto model)

The following seems to be clear:
    The colour of the bike is Olive green with striping on fenders, gas-tank and toolbox. The striping was coach green stripes edged in gold and with a centre stripe in silver OR gold.

Question 1: any opinion on this; should the centre stripe on fenders, gas-tank and toolbox be silver or gold ??

Further, it also seems to be clear that the sidecar chassis (with leaf springs) should be Brewster green while the wheel, sidecar fender and sidecar body had the same Olive green colour as the bike.

Question 2: Is it correct that Brewster green was used on sidecar chassis & leaf springs?

Regarding the pinstriping on the sidecar fender and body I am uncertain. I have seen the fender with the same striping as the fenders of the bike. Regarding the sidecar body I have no confirmed information how this was. I have also read that gold bronze and aluminium bronze were two colours used, but I do not know where and how.

Question 3: How was the striping on the sidecar & sidecar fender?

Question 4: any opinion on the use of the colours gold bronze and aluminium bronze?

Further I think it was striping on the fork and the front chain guard.

Question 5: Which colour should the stripes in the fork and front chain guard have? Coach green? Brewster green? Anything else???

Upto 1916 it seems that it was striping on the frame tubes.

Question 6: Was this striping on the frame tubes continued when the colour was changed to Olive in 1917?

Then to the decals:

Question 7: Did HD use the patent mark on the headstock in 1917?

Question 8: Should it be written ‘MADE IN USA’ on the decal below HARLEY DAVIDSON on the gas tank?

Question 9: Should it be a ‘Harley Davidson motor-cycle decal on the toolbox below the seat? And if so, on the right side, the left side or on both sides?

I assume that it may be different opinions as well as different colour schemes, leading to more than one correct answer to the questions dependant on how the bike was ordered or where it was delivered. However any input is welcome, either to the thread or directly to me.
    My e-mail address is: a-monrad@c2i.net
    Thanks in advance

I don't know tons about JDs and I don't know how close a 1919 paint job is to your 1917, but ... if you speak French (which, given you live in Europe, seems not unlikely), this site:
    http://www.harley-memories.com/restorer.htm
    has striping and paint details ... Perry

Comment

Does anyone have a modern conversion # for (FAWN grey part no. 11615) For a 1916 HD. And any pin details? Same as 1919?

Comment

Regarding AdminGuy's request for a modern equiviant to "Fawn Gray", I too would be interested to get the straight scoop on Harley Davidson Gray. I think this color is as elusive to get a commitment to as Indian Red. I have seen many restored pre-1917 Harleys and the color seems to be different on every one of them. I have seen warm grays that seem to have a brownish hue to cool grays that have a blue-ish hue, and then variation from light to dark. I have a 1916 F that I hope to get to one of these days and it would be great to get some good advice on paint.

Comment

remind me about this and i'll get off my ass and completely document a fine orig paint example that we have in a local museum. Incl. color scan of tool box. dry and wet, due to oxidization and age. I think it's a 14 or 15.

If I remember correctly it was a warm grey. But the proof is in the formula numbers.

In my travels. sometime... I'll keep this task in the back of my mind.

What yr did they start to hire women to stripe the bikes? As quality and consistancy would have gone way up! Ya, I get a brownie point for that.

Comment

Working...
          X