generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator

I need some information about my generator(a 32E). My gen. light has come on. I checked for amp output with the ignition switch in both the "run" position and the "lights on" position, engine running, and it is not charging at all.
    I pulled the relay and tested it according to the manual. It tests ok.
    I pulled the generator, and tested the field coils, getting .72 amps on BOTH coils. From the manual, I am supposed to get 1.4-1.9 amps out of the regulating coil, and .6-1.0 amps from the shunt coil. I checked the coils for an open and a ground. Both checked okay. I "ohmed" both coils, and got 8.4 ohms on the regulating coil (should be 3-4 ohms), and 8.2 ohms on the shunt coil (should be 6-8 ohms). Could I have two of the same coils in the generator?
    Also, I pulled the armature and checked the commutator bars. All "ohmed" at .2 to .4 ohms, except two next to each other, which "ohmed" at 6.05 ohms each (they had a small dark spot on each bar). Also, I got continuity from the commutator bars and the shaft. If I understand correctly, the should be no continuity there.
    So, am I needing an armature and possibly a regulating field coil? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Your diagnosis sounds bang on. You need a new armature (or get your existing one rewound). It does sound like you have two of the same field coil. If you were happy with the generator's performance prior to the armature going, I'd probably just replace the armature and be done with it. Keep in mind that the 32E was replaced by the model 52 (which is visually the same). In the model 52 both field coils were the same (my notes here say the ohm reading is typically around 5.4 for those field coils) ... Perry

Comment

Working...
    X