Sifton Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sifton Cam

I HAVE A 1950 PANHEAD MOTOR WITH A 468S MODEL SIFTON CAM WITH THE NUMBERS 478 ALSO STAMPED IN IT. ANY INFO ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT THIS CAM WOULD SURE HELP ME ALOT.THANK YOU !

The place to find the answer to this question is...
    http://panhead.proboards1.com/
    It is the best site for panhead questions and a lot more.

Comment

If memory serves (and we're going backa long time) , the Sifton 468S cam is a 0.468" lift - same as the panhead 468 cam - with a duration that is slightly modified for use in shovelhead motors, which had larger intake valves. Also, as you are probably aware, when using a Sifton cam larger than the 412 in either the pan or shovel motor, the valve guides need to be checked for clearance, as do the valve springs. But please be informed - this is from memory and I may be incorrect. Good Luck !!

Comment

Bill's memory is correct.

I cannot remember a '478', but I do remember that the 468S was a gas-guzzler that needed more R's to reach the powerband than I felt to be comfortably 'streetable'. Since the damage was already done with the chubble intakes, I 'de-tuned' to the 440 lift "109 Cobra", and was delighted with the regained lower end.

Sadly, the Sifton name is now Tedd's, and applied generically. I believe BlackWidow may be the only source for some of these old grinds.

Comment

Working...
        X