settting up my side car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• settting up my side car

Hello ,,,anyone out there that can tell me the toe in and camber #s that i am supposed to use in setting up my 1935 VL with the Vl side car? i have now 1/8 toe out and the bike is leaning into the car as for camber...please help,,,,,,and i cant seam to figure how to set the toe in,,without shimming the rear mount,,,any help? thanks Mark

sidecar setup

Hello,
    I would like to know how you set up the sidecar also, as I have a 193074 plus 1930 LT. I do have instructions for setting a sidecar up, but not VL's specifically. Mine came set up from the original owner when I got the bike in 1966, and later took apart, so I too will have to check the adjustments. I am presently putting the rig back together. From what I can see, each connection to the bike frame has threaded adjustments with locking nuts. It is wise to make sure all your bolt bushings are tight, not worn. Frame brace part 6009-30a would give you the adjustment to make the bike verticle when hooked up to the sidecar. Both front and back ball joint sidecar frame connections can be adjusted in or out, and locked with the second nut, so this is where you would adjust toe in or out from. I am not an expert on this, and may be wrong, but this is what I would do. Email me if you want.
    Rickfaulk

Comment

A good place to start with any sidecar is to toe the machine about one inch in to the sidecar, in the length of the machine. In other words, lay a straight edge along the wheels of the bike, and another along the sidecar wheel, and they should be 1" closer at the front wheel. Then lean the bike away from the sidecar three or four degrees. If you intend to carry a passenger most of the time, set the lean out with the passenger in the car, and you on the bike, or the equivalent ballast.
      Take it for a ride. If it shimmies excessively, you need to toe it in more. At a comfortable cruising speed it should track straight without any pull on the bars. If it pulls towards the car, lean it out. If it pulls away, lean it in slightly. It will always tend to shimmy slightly at certain speeds, thus the steering damper.
      A well set up outfit can be handled with one hand, by using brakes and throttle correctly.
      Pete Gagan

Comment

Thanks Peter,
        I have since found the article in an old SideHack magazine that describes the process of setting up a sidecar, and if M-wis or anyone else would like the information, contact me by email or this forum and I will scan it for you. In my previous reply I was correct as to where you make the adjustments on our VL's, at least the LT models.
        Rickfaulk

Comment

Rick,

Could you send me the info on setting up a sidecar to a Hd VL also just curious what sidehack magazine is it from?

Thanks

Comment

Sidecars

Hi Chuck,
            The magazine I got my info from was called Hacked, started in the early 80's, and still going. You can access their web site from google by typing Hacked, a magazine for sidecarists. I will send you my info, and you can go from there. Good luck, and ask any questions if I can help.
            Rick Faulkner

Comment

Thanks Rick,

I still receive Hack'd magazine and I have set up a few sidecars to bikes in the past,I was curious as to any adjustmemts etc. when setting a sidecar up to the old bikes.
              I will keep a eye out for the info from you.
              Thanks again

Comment

Thanks Pete for this old Forum answer! I'm just joining the world of sidecar riding. Larry Barnes

Comment

Working...
                X