• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• referencing tools

I have manuals, parts manuals, and charts dealing with tools but I
    have yet to come across a table of all Harley Davison tools
    manufactured which cross reference the HD part numbers with the
    Military part numbers. An example is the Valve Key replacer tool. I think the
    military part number is 41-R-2398. What is the HD number? I have
    numerous tools [ I know were most of them are used but some I do
    not ]. Do any of you fellas have or know of such a reference chart,
    preferably with pictures, that I can get my hands on? Some of the
    reamer designs have changed over the years also but the part numbers
    remained the same. JGRW's file on FHP was a great help. Unfortunately HD made many more tools and Uncle Sam uses their own numbering identification system. Thanks in advance. Paps

Harley's number for their valve key tool is 12054-30. No idea if that is the same tool as Uncle Sam's number. Here's drawings of the WLA service tools, along with Harley's and Sam's numbers ... Perry

Comment

Thanks Perry. I have this list and it is a good one. Problem with HD tools is they made so many of them and this list and the others I have do not mention those tools. Service manuals do but they don't use the HD part numbers. Tell me how you posted this list and I will post some tool pics of the particular tools I am trying to decern. Jack Hester put togehter a really good list [no pics] over on Richard Duda's site and FHP that I highly recommend taking a look at. It seems during the 30's and 40's many of HD tools were manufactured in Germany but the tools were deliberately manufactured with errors. Possibly war strategy maybe?? Just some food for thought. Paps

Comment

Paps -

The German-made tools that I have are post-war. Made during reconstruction, probably as a means to give manufacturing a kick-start. A few have course threads, where they should be fine. Or, just plain don't fit the component that they are supposed to. The quality is excellent, so I'm thinking the difference was intentional. Hurt feelings, maybe. Either way, they are collectables to be preserved. And, if they fit. then they should be used. I do. I still have quite a few wrapped and covered in cosmoline. Don't know when I'll ever get around to taking a peek at them.

Jack

Comment

Well - I scanned the page, uploaded the JPEG to the webspace that my ISP gives me and then clicked on the IMG button when composing the post and put the URL of the uploaded picture in the pop up window ... Perry

Comment

Thanks Jack and Perry. Paps

Comment

Working...
            X