Unknown engine id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown engine id

I received the following email from a fellow in Norway with some photos attached. I merged the photos and they will be shown after his text. Please append here and I'll feed back any responses. Thanks ... Perry

Hi again Perry,
    I just came to think about that I know you are one of the moderators on AMCAS forum.
    I have recently found a very old engine wich I believe is US made as the people on the farm where the engine was found had relatives emigrating to the US in the late 1890`s. All threads are inches too, making this certainly not from France, Germany or alike.
    I first tought it was a California motor, but having had contact with Australian California owner LM this is not true.
    I have tried to ask several people, but none have succeeded in identifying it.
    The motor is not a one-of as the cranck is stamped 236 and the cylinder is engraved with CC/40. It is approx 180ccm, cast iron cranck case casted as one piece with a detatchable bronze cover acting as the cranck bearing too.
    Rod is bronze with a two piece lower end, cranck is one piece.
    The cam and exhaust valve lifter is very primitive as well as the valve pocket is not casted as a part of the cylinder but is screwed into it.
    Most strange is the fact there is babbit in front and back of cylinder to act as a bearing for the pistion. This have been poured into the machiuned grooves trough the cover on the front of the cylinder. The carb fitted is identified as a NSU carb from approx. 1906 and is cleraly fitted "later" as the inlet is welded to fit it.
    Ignition is adjustable, point is a leaf spring towards a hardwood slobe with a brass dot for earthing the coil.
    Is there any chance you could help me identifying it trough AMCA, ie the pre.1916 forum??
    I will try to find a periodic bicycle for this, any idea where to get one?

As far as the ID I can not help but it is indeed a buckboard motor use for stationary farm purposes. It has a drip oiler mounted on it, and possibly with that hub, set up for friction drive? AFtDog

Comment

Working...
    X