47 oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 oil pump

Hello all.I'm new to the forum,been an AMCA member for a year.
    Can anyone tell me the proper o.d. for the late cast iron oil pump plunger and/or the correct clearance in the pump body?And the same for the return gear drive shaft?
    Thanks
    Tom
    P.S.-I ride a '47 chief

Plunger Clearance

Was cruisin' through some messages and saw your question...though you've probably already gotten it answered.

Clearance should be 0.0005-0.0015 for maximum performance. It doesn't really matter what the correct bore size is if you've got clearance correct. A good fix is to hard-chrome the plunger and grind it to spec.

Comment

Brian-Thanks for the reply.I did get an answer earlier ,but it isn't the same as yours.Rocky Halter miced up some NOS pumps for me an found a lot looser fit.
      Do you mind telling me where your info is from?I get paranoid about things like this!
      Thanks Tom P.

Comment

I did it to a friend's oil pump and it worked fantastic. Guessed on the clearance. Figure it's gotta be small enough to stop any wet sumping from occuring while the bike is parked.

Comment

Thanks Brian-I went back and checked my notes and Rocky's dimensions aren't that much diferent from yours after all-in fact there is some overlap.
          Thanks again for the reply
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X