springer shock absorber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springer shock absorber

In my younger days my extended D&D springer hit the bumps softer than my 46 Knucklehead. Sure,with no shock absorber I bounced alot but it was soft and gentle. When my Knuck hits a sharp edged big bump the front wheel goes in the air . The fork now had 5K miles on it with new bushings/studs then and good rocker alignment. I'm thinking that it's original shock, that felt nice and tight, is just too much. Does anyone know if the repro shock has more modern internal valving than the oem originals? I even cut the inside fork springs shorter thinking that they were contributing for the wheel take off in the air. I run about 15 pounds of air pressure in the front tire. Any suggestions? This gets scary to ride sometimes on rough roads. Thanks for any help, Out of control

The shock should compress easily but the return should be stiff. It was designed to allow the springs to compress quickly but not to allow the springs to extend back out as fast with the intention of removing the pogo stick effect. Paps

Comment

Paps, Thanks for your reply. If I remember, the shock was hard pulling in both directions. Perhaps this is my problem. Have you or anybody else had any experience with the repros?

Comment

I have no experience with the repop shocks as of yet but there should be a lot less resistance upon colapsing the original monoe shock than there is pulling it to expanded position. Some minor resisitance will be felt upon colasping it though. Paps

Comment

Springer Shock

My understanding (although not personal) is that the re-pop springer shocks experience bent mounting brackets. I have a re-pop, but opted to use an original instead, at a substantial cost. I have two buddies who have experienced the same bracket problem.

Comment

Working...
          X