just a thought what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a thought what's your opinion?

where do you find antique motorcycles from members to members only? Does such a bulletin board exist? some people who have old machines think they are worth a mint and don't know anything about said machine except i thinks worth a lot of money, no history, these are machines i generally stay away from; also i don't feel as if i can trust e-bay found some good deals only to be told by a friend that over 90% on e-bay are either fraud or junk or out of the country. "jb"

I have never purchased a complete bike on ebay but I have made hundreds of transactions on ebay with no problems so that 90% is a huge exageration.

Comment

I have purchased 2 bikes from ebay, one was from a shop in Australia and the other from an AMCA member in Kansas.
      Both deals went smoothly and the main difference was the 30 wait while my crated bike sailed the seas from down under.
      Both bikes were a little rougher in person than the pictures would lead you to believe but nothing that new paint or a few minor repairs couldn't fix and I've had both on the highways at 70 mph without trouble shortly after purchasing.

Follow the ebay guidelines for seller performance and use a payment company (ie:Paypal) or a credit card for purchase protection.

I will say that I was more comfortable buying from a shop or dealer out of country than an individual in country and by using a credit card to pay, if the boat sank and I never saw the bike, I would not be stuck with the debt.

Good luck on your search!

Comment

It's tough to beat the national meets for a place to find a bike. You can see it in person and hear it run, maybe even dicker with the seller. I can recommend Oley, PA and Wauseon, OH as good meets for finding bikes. They may be a little far from you but would be worth the trip. Eustis FL might be a good one that's closer to you but I've never made it yet.

Comment

JB
          I have made over a hundred purchases on eBay including two complete machines with no problems. I've also bought a basket case from Australia with no problems. You just have to check thier feedbacks and make sure you ask any questions before hand. I do believe that buying at a meet or locally may be best. I'm still looking for you...I love to spend other peoples money!

Louie

Comment

thanks to all

this is a great club in which members do actually help others ie newcomers like me. special thanks to louie for keeping an eye out. I found a 1944 74 flat head that i am still considering because i have heard it run and seen it at my local bike night just the price and descrepincies of the bike i am still contemplating.12K is alot to spend. i agree about the events went to davenport but at that time i was still very unsure about what i wanted. again thanks to all who submited a reply."jb"

Comment

JB,
              As Ive stated before...dont be in arush! Do your homework! Ive bought many parts on E-Bay and only one complete bike a Indian Racer,got it for a fair price and only one other person bid on it! Went to pick it up and much to my surprise (and joy!) it had quite a bit of history behind it! just goes to show you never know! An old timer once told me never reach if you do you get stung! Hope you find what your lookin for and good luck! Seak out the people in the know ask questions and nose around alot then make under desicion from a point of knowledge!

PS I approve this message,even thought its the ramblings of an oldman!

Comment

I agree. JB you need to get out and talk to owners. Ask straight up- what to look for, what to feel for, etc. Make a list, check it twice...

Comment

found a antique, but just barely

Found on walnecks a 67 servi-car, price i feel is ok a bit high for a project considering a good amount of stuff missing , and i can't hear the motor run. also it's in maine a 14-16 hour drive i would be happy to have some second and third opinion's i have e-mail pic's and the price, and the list of what's missing, although nada is low i'm told a #1 excellent cond only list for 9,300. according to my credit union. and #2 very good is 6,800. the bike is 90% maybe maybe 95% complete. and also its not wired up so i can't hear it run. anybody have any thoughts? "jb"

PS. any and all e-mails will be answered. "jb"

Comment

Working...
                  X