BSA switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA switch

Looking for advice/info on the ignition/light switch used on a 1958 bsa C12.

anyone familiar with it

Thanks

BSA switch

TOK
    Your best odds at a reply on this one is to try posting at Britbike.com on the BSA board. THose guys eat drink and sleep BSA's.
    BSAing you,
    Doug

Comment

You can try Roman Cycle in Youngstown, Ohio. Look under the yellow pages on Yahoo for contact info. They have been dealing, racing, and selling Triumphs and BSAs for about 60 years I believe. Pa

Comment

Old British Parts

Check out DomiRacer in Cincinnati, OH. they have a website. If you don't really care about the nickels and dimes, British Only in Garden City, Michigan has a HUGE extensive inventory, and they work by part number. They also have a web site.

That's the stock answer. Now I'll give you the inside line....Earl Bowlby (AMA Nat'l Pro Hillclimb Champ 10X on a BSA) is retired from his dealership. He was a BSA and Triumph dealer in the 70's - 90's. He still has a nice collection of old BSA's (his '50 still runs) and he still has a big inventory of OLD parts. He can also buy from Coventry Spares, etc (dealer's only supplier). He's in Logan OH. If you email me, I'll put you together with him. I am very, very lucky to know this legend on a personal basis, and he helps me out tremendously with my old Triumph bikes. Search his name on Google and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

BSA C-12 ..Lucas SWITCH Part No. PR68

I have the switch, and I tested it using a basic meter and techniques from Radco's Vintage motorcycle manual book... I believe it is in working order based on that.

But the problems are several.
          First off I had the bike running and very well at that. But I took apart the ignition wires and tested the all the parts I thought might be failing, this is because the battery was not recharging.
          Here's what I found or believe to be true..

When I first got the bike there was no switch, so I got a "good" used one from a reputable dealer and no luck. The bike is very original, no one has changed the wires, and they match my book 100%.

SIDE BAR HERE The SWITCH a description:
          Think two hockey pucks with a fiber board (round) insert between them. Each puck takes several wires (5? to 7?) I don't have it right in front of me.. some odd wires were connected and trimmed off no big deal. BUT some wires were attached on both side (read both hockey pucks).

Back to my story..

The switch had some odd wires in it and a friend (read friend who is a bike mechanic) looked it all over and we thought the switch was internally making connection and we removed the wires connecting one side of the puck to the other.
          WE did manage to get it together and running.
          I could not use the parking light and if the Head light was on the ammeter went from a very nice + reading to a very big neg – reading...

IN my new state we need lights 24/7 so I’m determined to sort this out correctly.

IT seems to me the cross over wires ARE needed. That they jump or pull current when the lights are on and restore/charge the battery..
          So I did a quick check and used the external jumper wires and zip. Then the winter came and it's moth balled away for a few more weeks..

Anyone out there familiar with this switch? and model BSA? It is a 1958 which I believe is the first year for an alternator..

I'll also post on the BSA site too...

Thanks
          TOk

Comment

BSA Switch

TOK - Part number PR 68 is a Lucas model type number. There is a Lucas part number that goes with this, usually has 5 digits, but sometimes more. I have a Lucas book that goes back to 1960, and it lists parts for the BSA C-15 Star and B-40 Star. The lighting switch number it calls out for those bikes is 54033004. This number changed in 1962 to 34289A, which is a number I know. That's an SA 41 Switch, that same that's on my 1961 T120 and TR6. I might evben have a new one of those here if you want to try it out. It sounds just like your description, has a ring of screw posts in the back to connect the wiring (I will count the terminals for you, and I think I may have a wiring diagram fot that switch).

If you have a parts list for your 1958 bike, the number should be listed in there, and I bet it's 54033004. There's a very good chance I can get onewhen EB gets back from Florida next month if you haven't come up with one by then. I'll check Britishonly for you right now to see if they have it.

You may be able to use the updated 34289A as well.

The headlight taking a huge draw to ground (neg) when switched on sounds like a short, but you'd think it would blow a fuse (assuming you have a fuse inline). That could be internal to the harness, the light, or the switch. Do you have a voltage regulator in that circuit?

Comment

opps

i seemed to have sent that.... without meaning to.

anyhow the problem (I think) is

1. I need to be sure that I can do the external jump wire set up. Do it correctly.

2. be sure that this is the correct switch.

3. be sure the switch is working ....

4. be sure that I am setting up the connections correctly. Is there a typo/mistake in the book I have?

Thanks
              Tim OK

okeeffetim@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X