Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondo/filler removal

Hey gang,
    can anyone out there give me advice on the removal of bondo type filler? It's in the emblem and knee rubber screw holes on a 50's BSA gas tank that I want to restore. There was also a spot where lead was used. That came out pretty clean with some heat ...

Thanks for any advice.
    TOK

I've used an acet torch to burn the stuff out. Watch out that too much heat doesn't warp things. Sometimes as the metal gets hot the bondo pulls away and you can dig a wood chisel or scraper under the bondo. Then I use a course wire wheel on a drill to clean out the rest. Do this out side as the fumes are real nasty. For the thread hole I would just drill out the bondo with a correct size tap drill and then run a tap through. The bondo is very easy to drill. Good luck!

Comment

bondo/ filler removal

Thanks for the advice.

TOK

Comment

metal dental picks are real handy also. I asked real nice- and got 30 used, serilized and wrapped. Be real careful when drilling.

Comment

dental picks

I was just thinking about a pick. I saw some in an art supply (for pottery) store but they looked too wimpy to do the job.

Did you ask your dentist?
          or look into getting some from a supply house?

SO FAR I used heat and a putty/scraper.
          ** note here the tank is old (of course) and likely has not been on a bike/held gas since Nixon was in office. **
          anyhow the lead melted as I expected but needs a little me work to get the edges and the bondo softened up and lifted enough for me to pull and pry "gently" away fron the metal surface. I sanded and used spray can primer to keep it rust free during the down time I can't work on it. I'll need to get back at it soon.

any advice on cleaning out/retapping ? the screw holes without damaging them?
          Thank you very much.
          TOk

Comment

Working...
          X