Kicker engagemment w/ starter pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicker engagemment w/ starter pinion

I realize that you want a loose fit as the pinion can float around a bit. But is this too loose? Should I mill down the stud mount plate and tighten it up a bit? What do you think? I have no clue, as I'm not usually looking at others tollerances. Apparently this tollerance can change on rotation? Why is this?

Should the pinions be painted black? 640.
    Attached Files

I bumped into Kenny Edmonston at Tenino WA meet. Kennys' lookin' heathy, sounds fine and was all smiles. It was great to see him and his wife again. He told me that the kicker stud will often be bent out from guys who get a little excited and kick too fast causing the teeth to mis-align upon kickin.

Kenny builds a solid motor and knows a trick or two.

Checked my stud for true. It's almost bang on. So I guess I'm OK. I figure I could shim the opposite side for a hack fix. But will cross my fingers and feel for positive mesh before kicking. Stick with what I got. I guess this is why the first tooth is usually cut down. A feed tooth.

Don said the pinion and kickers do not have a correct tooth number engagement. A little off. I belive it -as I watch it rotate.

I tried to look at other guys bikes, but chain guards usually cover it. Oh well.

Maybe my tolerance will change once I get the clutch and primary chain on? Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
    X