Cork carb floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork carb floats

I'd like to use the cork floats in carbs for 2 flatheads. Can anyone tell me a good refurbish coating to do this? I'm aware of brass floats out there but I'd rather salvage what I have unless it's not practical. Thanks for your help.
    Tom

Tom -

Hopefully, Thomas Cotton will speak up, and give you a better alternative to the cork and brass floats. And, all the reasons not to use either. Seems there are some places where the pump gas has additives that will destroy the cork ones, no matter what you coat them with. He has all the details. When I get to the point of needing some more floats, the ones he offers are my choice.

Jack

Comment

Fuels seem to be different everywhere, and it seems that modern Euro corks do fine in Euro fuel. Or so I have read.

But I have only found one isocyanate urethane coating that will withstand US P4gas, but by the time it is thick enough,...it is heavy, and you would have to trial-and-error it's adjustment with great patience.
      Other coatings, such as epoxies, have a limited life, and are very heavy. And any crack from installation of the pivot nut, or unseen pin hole, will log them eventually, usually at an inconvenient moment.

I cut gas-proof floats for Linkerts and Scheblers from an ultra-light material that is suddenly in short supply in the Free World.
      Please post me direct for availability and info: liberty@npoint.net

Comment

Working...
      X