Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoover R&R w/ Timken Bearings. Too fat....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoover R&R w/ Timken Bearings. Too fat....

The Timken replacements on my rear axel (640) appear to be wider. The cup and cone when mated are wider. This makes me think that I may have to plane down the thickness of my axel lock washer and nut by approx 3/16" to get the speedo tabs to engage properly and the speedo to mount flush to the sprocket lock nut.

Has anyone else had a simular experience? Is it just me?

I've lit a fire under this project now. After four solid days of striping, painting, spinning bolt heads (ugggh) and assembly -I now have an assembled rolling chassis. Man- that frame bent back a little too easy if you know what I mean.

Lower end is next. Advice and encouragement greatly appreciated.

Here's a photo. Tangs of speedo do insert. I would like the speedo to be flush. Stop road grit from entering speedo. I'm going to take it all apart again tonight.

Possible nut cut down?

My sub-frame is factory spec. 10.5" across. Which looks like it may be too tight. As I had to drop one of the spacers also.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like I'm going to have to cut down the second inner nut. The outer one is heat treated. And so pretty I don't want to mess with it.

I did have the sprocket on backwards. Cut out on spines faces hub. Hard to see in diagram. Flipping it made little difference.

Bearing cups are seated.

Comment

So now I hear some guys are short? But I'm long - so I did this.

I had my inner nut cut it down about an 1/8". (Friends with lathes reap the beer). This did the trick. My lock washer is back in and everything is fine. Lock nut is almost flush with sprocket lock nut (donut). I now have about a 1/16" between speedo and sprocket lock nut. Which I figure is OK compensation for any flexing. I'll gob a whack 'o' grease on the inside of the speedo to protect it from road grit.

I figure a little space in there is good. Now I'll be able to visually see when my speedo tangs are sheared off, without having to remove axel. "Yup! It's busted. Let's go."

I did notice that my rear wheel is nicely centered to the main frame. But looking over the handle bars - the front is off about +1/4". So I gotta come back on that off-set when I get a chance. Or maybe the rear should go over a bit? My champagne glass spacer is 1 3/4". Is that too wide? Maybe it is. This would make alot of sense. My rear would off-set in line w/ front and I could stick the correct spacer back in on the rear right side. Maybe even give it a little wedge shape, so she fits in real nice like. Putting even pressure on speedo.

If the wheels are both off-set 1/4" to the left and tracking in-line. This will have little effect on the handling of the bike. Correct? I would think so. A head lamp and horn will block my view.

I had better check how the wheels are tracking at this point.

And so.... the Sport Scout saga continues. And yes, I'm having a great time building this thing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X