scavanger pump w/chain oiler usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scavanger pump w/chain oiler usage

Can anyone help me with the usage of the 45 scavanger pump? I have a 1947 wl and I have the scavanger oil pump cover without the rear chain oiler fitting.
    I was told that all 45's have the cover with the oiler attachment point. Palmer's says the rear chain oiler pump cover was used on only bikes with a rear chain oiler, which I was led to belive was pretty rare. Can anyone staiten this out for me and point me to some documentation to prove the proper usage either way.

As far as I know, only the WLA army models and the Servi-cars used the scavenger oil pump with the rear chain oiler fitting. Bruce Palmer's book on page 200 lists the models it was used on.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks BEK, that's a good one. Does anyone else have a different source than How to Restore? I get the feeling some judges won't take that as the only proof. Perhaps some one has seen a good photo factory photo somewhere. Any help is appriciated

Comment

I found more information in Palmer's other book,"How To Restore Your Military H-D. On page 62 he states in the second column under "First use of features on a WLA", the rear chain oiler/scavenger pump was used. Then on page 64 you will find a nice close up picture of the pump and oiler line.
        I have found that most judges agree with most of Palmer's books, especially when he uses original Factory photos.

Bruce

Comment

My NOS WLA motor has the oiler type scavenger. I believe they were also used on some WR's But I can not quote the years off the top of my head. FatDog

Comment

I took a look at that picture in how to restore your wla. I wish I could find one like that of a WL with the regular pump cover.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

I have a complete rebuilt pump, email me at fatdog1903@yahoo.com

Comment

sorry fatdog I was unclear. I ment a picture like the one in how to restore your military harley-davidson. To prove mine is correct.

Comment

Hey Erdos...
                  If you want a picture, check with Antique Cycle Supply in Michigan, they sell reprints of original Factory photos of many bikes. I checked my literature supply and I have the photos of the 1947 WL from them and it shows the area of the pump, just not close up. These photos are 8x10, left and right sides. I can't post them but give Lonnie a call there and get a set for yourself.
                  Their number-888-636-8208.

Bruce

Comment

I called Antique Cycle Supply and they couldn't help me with a photo. Can anyone help me with photos?

Comment

Working...
                    X