45 cylinder casting numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 cylinder casting numbers

Doing some research on date codes for 45 cylinders. How does one determine the actual date a 45 cylinder was produced and put to use? Thanks, Paps

Come on fellows !! Fatdog? Judges?? Someone?? There must be a way to date these cylinders acurately. Paps

Comment

Sorry,
      No date castings on 45" cyl's here is a nice WLDR casrting number chart though. FatDog
      http://www.beautyofspeed.com/data/cy...wldr/index.htm

Comment

Paps,
        I'm only familiar with the early 45's (DL & RL) models, but I'll share what I've learned. As far as I know, there are no date codes on cylinders like there are on some transmission cases, only casting numbers.
        The 1929 though 1931 model D & DL 45” twins uses front cylinder #2-29 and rear cylinder #3-29. Both cylinders bear the casting “1-29C W”.
        All models of the 1932 through 1934 45” twins used front cylinder #2-32 and rear cylinder #3-32. Both cylinders bear the casting “1-32”.
        All models of the 45” twins between late 1934 & 1935 used front cylinder #2-34 and rear cylinder #3-34. Both cylinders still bear the casting “1-32”.
        All models of the 45” twins between late 1936 & 1939 used front cylinder #2-36 and rear cylinder #3-36. Both front and rear cylinders bear the casting number “120-36”.

I'm writing a restoration manual for the early 45's ('29-'36) and I'm curious what research you've done that might apply.

Regards,
        Johnny

Comment

None Johnny on the 45. I would just like to be sure that when restoring a specific year of a 45, in this case 1941 and up, to a 100 point motorcycle, the cylinders installed on the engine would be correct for the year without any doubt. Paps

Comment

Working...
          X