Sidecar info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar info needed

I'm entering a new world that needs to be explored...I've always enjoyed the body english of riding on two wheels and I'm adding another to one of my Bikes, The 58FLH. I have just about everything in parts including and adjustable set of trees. I'm curious as to the rake if the tubes would need to be replaced with longer (2") ones two keep the front end up? If so I would think the Cow Bell tins can't be used? Maybe I think too much. I'm also looking for good literature on the setting up of the sidecar and or riding with? I'm taking my good old time with this project as only another will come, Thank you for this forum and the many that lend advice/help. Ride

The correct adjustable front end requires no change other then to reposition and secure it for the longer wheelbase position. You will have to reaim the headlamp as well as reposition the handlebars for your personel comfort.
    Providing that you have all the correct components, I find that attaching the sidecar in the verticle position is the best place to start. Take it for a ride and adjust the "fwd"slidebar to correct for any undesirable tracking to the L or R. It's not rocket science.
    Mark all your final positions once you are satisifed and inspect them for slippage whenever you check the eng.oil.

Comment

Thank you, I have since gained more literature and there is no mention of the longer fork tubes for rider comfort or handling. I hear you start with the straight up and adjust from there...Did you end up moving the M/C away from the car? The info given says 2% away and adjust, so I take it that it's in that range. I appreciate the quote " It's not rocket science" as I think to much before I act or do something. This is a fun project and the learning process is on top of the list! It's never too late.

Comment

Sidecar info

In addition to the adjustable forks there are also spring spacers. These are about 1" long and give the springs the strength to hold the extra weight of the sidecar.

Comment

The bike should lean away from the sidecar about 2 degrees to start with, and should tow in slightly- in other wards the track of the sidecar wheel should be running in towards the bike, about an inch in the length of the machine. The tow in prevents shaking of the front end, (speed wobble), and the leaning out of the bike makes it pull away from the sidecar, to overcome its natural tendency to pull towards the sidecar. If all is well, it should track straight at cruising speed. If it pulls toward the sc, lean it out further, and if pulling out, lean it in a bit.
          Driving it will seem very wierd at first. Assuming the sidecar is on the right, when you come to a right hander, slow down on approaching, so you can accelerate as you go around. The sidecar will pull the bike to the right, and little effort will be needed to steer. When approaching the left hander, go in fast, and hit the brakes, and the sidecar will go around the bike pushing it to the left, saving effort again. A well setup sidecar rig is more fun than a barrel of monkeys when you get used to it.
          Cheers,
          Pete Gagan

Comment

Thank you all

I just finished the 58 sidecar project the end of Aug04 and in the end of Sept a bearing race retainer shreaded away in the trans...I got it back up and running already as I'm very handy. Cold Weather is coming and your advise is being taken as this is new to me. I do have the 45mph+ frontend wobble and was confused by it because the M/C alone handles find for and old Duo-Glide!? I did obtain literature on sidecars specific to my model and Riding skills literature as well. I guess I didn't take all of it serious enough as the toe in was mentioned and I didn't attempt to do it. I have the 10 foot steel bars to check alignment and will now for sure work on the toe in. It did upset me when the wobble started and ofcourse my first reaction was to tighten the damper although it seemed to help very little. This is great that there are experienced sidecar enthusiasts helping a sidehack novice like me ride safe and enjoy the sport! It was fun up to 45mph and I really would like to flow with traffic comfortably as I learn my skills. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X