2-tone paint job 48 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-tone paint job 48 chief

I'm painting my 48 chief (as the 60's era paint job is beginning to peel...not Indian colors) and I want to maintain the two-tone colors but use red and black. 2 questions- should I use Indian Red and Black, and which color should the panels be, red or black? (In other words, I'm not sure what color should go where, as I've seen it both ways.)

Does it matter what black I use? I'm not going for AMCA points, just want something that will look good, stop the rust and be close to what used to be used. Thanks for any tips!

Joel

Red and black is the way to go. It looks great. I like the red on the tops of the fenders with the black on the skirts. The tanks can be red with black side panels. Indian red is a blood red or maroon color and I don't think it goes as well with black. I think a bright red looks the best with a real glossy black. Anyway that's mt opinion.

Comment

Indian Chief Two Tone

Howdy. Yes I agree a brighter blood red with black is better than Indian red and black. However, I would not put a panel on the tanks. The tanks should be solid red, fender tops red, fender skirts black, chain guard black.
      Putting a panel on the tanks looks over-done, and harms the pleasant tear-drop shape of the tanks that compliments the fenders. Also, 3 inch white walls go well with a two-tone. I would not put any fringe on the seat or saddle bags. And only a minimal amount of chrome on the bike
      Here is a pic of my favorite two tone.
      Cheers!
      Patrice - Austin, TX

Comment

Two Tone Picture

Hi...here is the pic I meant to post.
        Cheers, Patrice
        Attached Files

Comment

any paint codes for other reds that Indian used??? My painter can match any dupont paint code if he has it...I agree with the brighter red I have seen, just any names or codes for them? Thanks
          Joel

Comment

Other Red Colors

Hi.
            My Indian Chief book by Hatfield says Indian advertised an optional Brilliant Red - but there is no dupont code for it.
            You may have to look at color chips and pick one that looks good to you. My wife and I have spent some time looking at PPG colors to paint our 53 chief. We have not decided if we want a correct original Indian color, or a custom color of our own. I lean toward painting it a color that we like most...original or not.
            Cheers, Patrice.
            Heres another two-tone
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X