Why my fender so high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why my fender so high?

I recently finished rebuilding my "46" WL. I get many comments on the front fender, and the fact that it sits so high off of the tire. I'm not sure if there are any adjustments to be made, or if "this is the way it is". I put new springs on the forks, could they be Too strong? Will they weaken with time and allow the fender to sit lower. When viewing the bike from the side, the top of the tire is actually visible. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess there's a chance your replacement springs are too long, but more likely - you've got 16 inch wheels right? In my opinon the front fender will always look funny with the 16 inch tire. Put 18 inch wheels on the bike and everything will look proportional ... Perry

Comment

I know I compared the springs, prior to installing them, and the length was the same.
      I would hate to switch out the rims and tires, mostly due to having just bought the front rim ,and spokes. Has anyone ever tried cutting the springs down so the fender would sit lower? Should I just shut the hell up ,and tell everyone else to do the same???

Comment

Flathead 1957

I have a 1946 WL with a springer front end, 16" wheels and tires and a bobbed stock front fender. I measure 4" from the top of the tire to the fender. The springer is the correct stock springer. If you have more than 4" - may be you have a WLA front end - they were 2" longer than stock WL.

Hope this helps,

Otto

Comment

When you say there is 4", is that from the tire to the underside of the fender ? (measured from the very top of the tire)
          You may be on to something with the WLA theory. Would you be kind enough to tell me the lenth of your forks, from top acorn nut to rocker. I would certainly appreciate the help. This might be the answer I was looking for. Not that it will change anything but at least I will Know WHY MY FENDER BE SO HIGH. Thank You.

Comment

Ottoa, I am looking to ad a 16" wheel to my 1948WL. Do you have any detailed pics and data as to all the parts I would need to be able to do so? I sure would appreciate your help on this. You could email me direct at [ vtwinrebuild@yahoo.com ] if you would like. Please subject matter it accordingly so I don't accidently delete your message. Thanks in advance.
            Humbly, Paps

Comment

Flathead 1957

The 4" is from the top of the tire to the underside of the fender at the center of the crown. I measured the ridgid fork top (handlebars) to the rocker stud: 25 14". Spring fork from top of acorn nut to wheel axle, the bike is complete and on the jiffy stand: 29 3/4". Same fork acorn nut to the center of the front rocker bushing: 28 1/2".

Hope that helps.

Otto

Comment

Paps,

I don't have a digital camera but if you check out 45 Restoration Company, www.45restoration.com you can find and buy most of all that is needed. Warren and the staff are very helpful and everything I have purchased from them has fit well and arrived in a timely manner. Their catalog is great ($2.00) and has good details of the parts and their part numbers. Also Bruce Palmer in his book "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson" has very good information, photos, and repair for WL's from 1935 to 1952 along with the big twins.

If I can be of help, let me know.

Otto

Comment

Hi There:
                  This is just a shot in the dark from a very part time Harley guy, but could you perhaps have your fork bottom links interchanged? This would make the front end higher.
                  Pete Gagan

Comment

Everything is installed according to the manual. I am convinced, after searching the web for pics of similar bikes, that what I have is correct. Thanks for all the responses, I certainly appreciate you guys, and the AMCA. Where else could you have access to so many experienced individuals? Gosh, I think I am going to cry.

Comment

Working...
                    X