Panhead exaust pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead exaust pipes

Does anybody have a recomendation of a manufacturer, other than V-Twin that makes original style exaust pipes, black or raw metal not chrome, that fit properly? My front pipe and "S" pipe are ok but the rear pipe and "Y" pipe just don't fit right.

From what I have seen, unless it is an original HD part, you will need to modify the pipes to some extent. I have seen pipes that had to be cut below the "bell" at the head and have 1/4" added, that required a wedge-shaped piece added for the correct curvature, that needed additional length and any number of similar modifications in order to fit with the engine and transmisison properly shimmed and securely mounted. This occurs with both panhead and knucklehead exhausts.

In any case, take the time to make it fit properly so that if you need to remove them later it will not be a nightmare for you. Trial fit everything such as boards, etc. before satisfying yourself that you are finished.

Remember, if it was easy, everyone would be doing this.

Lonnie

Comment

An additional thought....

I had a '50 that was using reproduction oil filter and bracket. The rear exhaust had the chrome covers. The oil filter actually was riding on the cover. No matter what I did, I could not get it right. I purchased an original filter and bracket. Voila!! Problem solved.

Ain't nothing like the real thing!!!

Comment

Hi Lonnie...
        Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing some cutting and hammering and finally got them to fit "okay". This was back in May and they seem to be doing fine as I have a couple of hundred miles on the bike. By the way it's a '48 Pan and I'm running the flex covers on the pipes and the tank mounted oil filter, so these items just contributed to the hassle. I also had it judged in Farmington and got a Junior First, so the judges thought it was okay too.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X