Knuclehead 61 Cylinders bored to 74

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuclehead 61 Cylinders bored to 74

I have a set of OHV 61 Cylinders That have been bored out to 74 std I would like to use these on my 47 Fl. I heard that I would not be able to use a linkert carb.

What carb can I use? Is it a good idea to use these cylinders, any problems with this set up?

It is not a good idea to use the EL cylinders at 74 bore as the casting is different, being a smaller overhaul diameter in the casting itself. It gets very thin at 74 bore and when they break they usually do considerable damage to the engine cases. The cylinders offered by Flathead Power of Sweden are far superior to the Taiwan offerings and are virtually unbreakable. They are reasonably close in appearance to original, considering risk of using overbored or poor quality parts and the very limited availabilty of good used originals I think its the only way to go. Kyle

Comment

I have EL cylinders in service at .155" overbore. One more and it will be a square 3.5"X3.5"

Use torqueplates , of course. That's how you prevent heat caused by rubbing piston skirts and eventual fragging.

And high compression 74" pistons to get it back to where it should be.

And I have used Linkerts on machines up to 88" with only minor alterations. The ports and manifold really can't take advantage of bigger carbs anyway.

There are many techniques lost to our fathers that our barroom buddies never imagined.

Comment

Working...
      X