judging form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• judging form

reading the judging handbook and interested in the 25 sections that they judge on , blank judging forms available to see what they will be looking for? just wondering on the areas they have to look for and the points they deduct for

Judging

This was discussed at the Saturday Judges meeting with Kevin Valentine. The thought was to put the judging list in the rule book so members could see the areas that would be Judged,it would not be an exact copy of the sheet so that it could not be reproduced exactly.

Comment

If you have Steve Slocombe's VL restoration book - the judging form is reproduced in it (at least in the fourth edition that I have) ... Perry

Comment

Maybe Kevin could just list the areas in text form. I'll forward this to him.

Comment

Okey-Dokey, Kevin sent me out the official judging form. Enjoy!

If you want to see the accual form I could scan it - but hope this will give you a pretty good idea of the format and catos. Each cato has a single line approx. 3" long beside it for comment. Prevents novel writing. Which is a good thang. Hand writing analysis will cost ya extra. Can be provided on site for free. Just ask!

Frame/ Fork
          Front Fender
          Rear Fender
          Wheels/Tires
          Nuts/Bolts/Mounting Hardware
          Handle Bar/Grips/Controls/Comp Release
          Engine/Transmission
          Carburator/Intake Manifold/Air Cleaner
          Exhaust System
          Headlight/Magneto
          Oil Tank/Oil Lines
          Footboards/Foot Pegs
          Chain Guard/ Primary Cover
          Seat and Seat Springs
          Kick Starter and Pedal/ Pedal Assembly
          Front Break/Clutch
          Rear Break
          Rear Stand/Center Stand/Side Stand
          Insturment Panel/Speedometer
          Generator/Horn/Drive Apparatus
          Battery Box/Tool Box/Sparkplugs
          Gasoline Tank/Gas Lines
          23. Wiring/Tail Light
          24. Plating/ Bright Work
          25. Overall Paint Finish/ Includes Decals, Pin Striping
          Totals 100 Less=

Comment

Judging form

I would be the first to point out we need a completely new form, possibly two pages. There is simply not enough room for a grown man to write is the small space provided.
            Also they want us to spend no more than 15 minutes on a bike. Sometimes this is impossible. The judging is a forum with many different judges finding things to be discussed and written. I have spent half an hour on some machines that have a lot of things to be found and written up.
            If we are to judge and let the bikes owner know exactly what is wrong with the machine we need lots more room on the forms and more time to do it in. Not every bike in the show is a First place bike. Writing all the problems up takes time. We have to be fair to the bikes owner and let them know exactly whan need to be corrected.

Comment

This is my perspective, nothing to do w/ Robin or Kevin.

I think that's the point. Be brief on the form. One word. It's up to the owner to ask for clairification. Yes, kinda fustrating as you and many others could easily write a couple of in depth pages on each machine. I found myself biting my lip and moving on with military efficency. Ya gotta do this! Open communication and post follow up are very important for owners. The time constraints of judging a large number of machines. Also the way the system that was implimented by Peter which allows bikes to progress up. Less and less issues need to be noted.

A hard job - but given the large numbers, it's gotta be that way. In a perfect world we could sit around and talk about each bike for a few hours.

One thing which works for me. Four guys judging. Issue visually noted and stated. Someone calls out for consensus, yes/no. No, quick debate, state facts briefly and quickly not opions. Recall for consensus. Yes! noted -and move on. Wham-bam! Issue not resolved? Leave it, and call over other judge/expert near end. Ya, some guys are going to have really strong personalities. But you've got to have mutual respect for knowledge and stick with group consensus or move on. It's a very tough job to be done in a short period of time.

Who knows what the future will hold, or how the system will have to adapt to the needs of members?

Comment

Ahh! Judging!!
                What a nitemare!(my opinion only!) I think Kevin and Robin walked into a hornets nest,and that they will straighten things out quite well!
                As for the short form I think that is just fine,as stated it should be of great interest to the owner to get ahold of the judges and ask questions!
                I know my next comment may flare a few tempers but what the heck! I not so sure there is a perfect bike to judge and Im not so sure I really care! I much rather see a point system that takes into consideration that the machine is ridden and is being enjoyed by the present caretaker! Now in No way am I saying most Judges arent fair or doing a great job,they are! some of the MCs we see at meets are not real nice correct and clean,but I (now this is just me) get a bigger kick out of seeing a few riders that work well, are correct for the most part and we see them being used !
                Given time with Kevin and Robin at the helm I do think Judging will be a fun thing and people that stopped going to meets will bring out their bikes and everyone will smile!

Yes Iapprove this message!

Comment

Judging

Admguy,
                  I don't think you statement of one word is relivant. How would the word "fork" tell the owner that his fork is the wrong year for his bike? Or that there was a visible repair to it? Or if it contained a mixture of parts? Or there was a part missing?
                  Most of the time I have to leave after judging on Sunday to catch a plane. It is often a very long time after the judging that the owner gets his sheet. On rare occosion I have had an owner come to me to question anything on their machine. Probably because we take the time to spell out the problem on the judging sheet.
                  judging is much like restoring a motorcycle. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it over again later.

Comment

judging form

the rule has been changed on the 15 minute per bike. it now reads "25 minutes and it might take longer if this is the first time judged or there are apprenitce judges working on the bike"
                    also
                    at the last few meets we have supplied the judges with a pad to make additional notes if there is not enough room on the form.
                    we will conitnue to listen to suggestions(keep them clean) and help make the experience a pleasant one
                    Kevin

Comment

Judging

Kevin,
                      Perhaps a stenographer for each judging team to speedily take down what find. ;-)

Comment

judging

or perhaps we could video it and sell the tapes(this should start something)
                        Kevin

Comment

Would the video end up in the comedy or drama section? hee-hee-hee.....

HD36knuck - in such an instance I'd expound with two or three words. ie. fork 38, *missing bracket, bolt finish-lower L link. *note pg2.

So much information can be passed verbally in a very short period of time. You've got to talk to the guys that judged your bike. Good communication will shorten the process.

Comment

Working...
                          X