Dual Carb Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Carb Project

I'm tired of my sluggish 74 inch flathead so I'm looking for info or parts to convert my '35 VL to a dual carb (M31) fire breathing monster. I'm thinking about modifying the manifold to hang both carbs on the left side and not messing with the heads. Anyone have any experience modifying and tuning one? Thanks.

Louie

I would try victory library.

“The 80 Book” is VICTORY LIBRARY’s complete booklet on the Harley-Davidson 74 & 80” flathead 1937-48, including model letters U, UL, UH, ULH, UMG, US, UA, etc.
        “The 80 Book” includes the entire contents of “80 Performance”, but not any 45, Linkert, Mikuni, 45 Magnum or British transmission information, please order these separately:

http://www.victorylibrary.com/80-BK.htm

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the manifolds. A little bit of work I would think.

Comment

Hulkster-Louie

Why go through all that trouble. Either trow a NOS juicer on the bike or accept it as it is. The bike will never have the get up and go it sounds like you are seeking. Good Luck

Pete

Comment

Fast VL ???

The bike is currently all original but was painted in '62 to look like a panhead. I would of course keep the oringinal manifold and carb intact. Trouble, what trouble? Anyone can bolt a bike together, look at all those new chopper kits or a new Indian (kit). Besides who can afford to buy a new project to work on? I'm just trying to have some fun with what I have. I realize that a VL will never be a hot rod......wait a minute, maybe one of those hot rod flame kits on the exhaust pipe ???? After the dual carbs of course!

Louie

Comment

Louie!

I have found that custom manifolds are fun projects since there is now a modern alternative to the unforgiving brass ferrules: a phenomenal plastic called PEEK, available in rod stock from http://www.mscindustrial.com/

Unfortunately it is very expensive to buy a foot at over $22 an inch delivered.

I stock the stuff as I custom-cut ferrules constantly. I also have lathe jigs for cutting the spigots on both kinds of UL manifolds, and can jig up for your one-off,... if you can fab it!

I assume you will start from scratch, rather than booger an original.
            Supporting the assembly will be a concern in itself.

Comment

I've been looking around at different carbs and might go with a pair of M-18's made for 45's. They are a lot shorter than the 74" carbs and hopefully cheaper. I have everything I need to make a manifold except what it would take to connect to the heads. Cotton, is the PEEK stuff just for the ferrules and you use the stock nuts? Thanks.

Louie

Comment

Yes, the PEEK is cut to replace the brass ferrules, and the rest of the assembly remains the same.
                Because the material is compliant (but still has the strength to support the assembly) you can cut your ferrules to a press-fit. They will stretch slightly to allow you to get them on, and the torque needed to seal them is greatly reduced.

That, in turn, allows you a thinner manifold wall, if you should choose to hog it out. And it makes aluminum practical as well.

I have a couple of 1" Linkerts stashed for my dual-carb project as well (OHV). I thought Scheblers would be lighter, but the potmetal just isn't light. Mas Classics http://www.masclassics.com/latest.html has carb castings planned, and if his Schebs are aluminum, they will be hard to resist!

Comment

Ok, I've got most of what I need to make the manifold and I also came up with an original name for my fire breathing VL..........
                  how about "V-Rod" ??? Short for VL HotRod. I hope nobody trys to copy my name. Maybe I'll trademark it!

Louie

Comment

Working...
                  X