laceing front 18" rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laceing front 18" rim

Has anyone else had problems w/ spoke lenght on fr rim? Spokes not seating properly etc. I just saw another guy w/ same 39 sct. problem. I haven't got my hands on the community trueing rig yet, but it apprears I may have a problem and may need to extend the treaded portion on one set drum side.

Just curious.

Spokes not threaded deep enough???? Anyone else? 18"...

Comment

No problem -now that I have the correct lace pattern. I followed the service manual, but it's unclear. A "cross four pattern" means that each spoke physically crosses the path of four other spokes. I ended up with a cross three. A common mistake I think.

Well no, it's just me. Hee-hee-hee....

I also noted that you really have to pay attention to the slight offset of the holes around the drum. If your overlay is wrong you will feel the tension that shouldn't exist. You should never have to bend or force a spoke into place. This would also be a good indication that your doing something wrong.

I also ground off the burs from the sides of the nipples. I think these may be here to give grip or dig in if your lacing a chrome rim. Metal on metal. I felt that the powder coating would provide enough grip under tension and didn't want to chew it all up on the install.

So things went very smoothly, once I had the correct lace pattern.

Happy belated Easter!

Comment

And another starting fact! Using an an adjustable wrench (no matter how careful) resulted in a few stripped nipples for me once I got some poundage on it. Now I've got the proper heat treated Buchanan's spoke wrench. A world of difference! Make your life easy if your going to attempt this. Buydawrench. It's thick knuckle, small head and length are perfect for the job.

I have an email into them asking for proper poundage of nipple torque. I think it's 80lbs or around there? Anyone know? 18" rim. SS nipple, SS spoke. I have great fun just thinking about "proper poundage of nipple torque".

Uhhh-ya..... Also a bit of discussion about compensating for different spoke patterns while trueing the rim. Something to consider. As a single turn on one side may require a turn and a half on the adjacent spoke, opposite side. Compensation for a different spoke angle or length and how it will effect the pull.

Book time on this job is under an hour??? I'd love to watch a professional wheel smith spoke up and true a wheel. That would be interesting.

Comment

Uhhhggg....in hindsight it would be a good idea to check your rim or give it a spin BEFORE you powder coat it. Mine have had a few good whacks. Drives you a little crazy when your trueing it. I just forget the edge and true the center and corner. I guess you need a proper jig to hammer out and true rim edge? Has anyone done this before? What does a new rim cost these days? hummm....

It was weird trueing up a powder coated rim. They don't squeek and twang like a bare metal rim. The squeek kinda gives you a rough indication of torque pressure. Extra nipples are handy. Maybe safe with 10 extra.

I tried those two sided nipples just for fun. It was no big deal with the proper wrench. They worked well. I should have used them. Are the two sided nipples just an Indian thing. Or did other marques use them also?

Comment

Buchanan's replied right away. On top of there game. 70-80lbs. Thanks!

Anyone have any good tips for how not to scratching up your rim when your rimming up a tire? Maybe some duck tape on the lever and the rim edge? Work sweet spot over in 2" increments?

Maybe a temporary piece of split plastic hose or tube on rim edge?

I think I figured out why that other fellows spoke heads didn't look right. It's a good idea when you begin trueing for concentric to make sure that your heads are seated properly, and your spokes paths are not getting hung-up as you begin to get some tension built up. This also relates to instructing powder coater to go light with thickness around hub spoke holes.

Comment

spokes

my 1917 and 1918 harley both use a two sided nipple.

Comment

Thanks Joe. I wonder who else used it? Merkel? Excelsior? Maybe a carry over from the bicycles?

Comment

Working...
                X