steering head lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering head lock

Any one know how to remove the steering head lock on 1953 BT frames? Ineed to replace mine it was sandblasted by mistake.
    thanks Pete (Also reinstall lock)

Normally they are pinned with a screw that has had it's head chisled off. If you can locate it, then it can be carefully drilled out with a left hand drill. (Later ones had rollpins which are a b*tch!) The trick is to avoid drilling too far, and to use another key to wiggle the core free.

You can see the location in the attachment.

Note that the rod that actually locks the forkstem is best removed for cleaning as well. The welchplug on the very front of the headstock must be removed, but another is easily purchased at most auto supplies. Re-grease the rod, but discard the spring.

I find it convenient to tap the pin hole for a setscrew to allow for future servicing, such as if the frame it to be repainted. It is easily capped over and hidden with a little bodyfiller.
    Attached Files

Comment

head lock

Great reply diffacult procedure as you know from my post my key cover needs improvement.
      Thank You
      Pete

Comment

lock removal

I replaced several by using a half inch drill with a bit thats a little smaller than the lock.when you get down to the last part of the lock i just pick it out.the housing looks like its just some sort of pot metal.

Comment

Working...
        X