Bruce and Calvin's ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce and Calvin's ride

Just want to express my admiration for anyone that would attempt this ride as described in the winter Antique Motorcycle. Having dabbled with pre teen's for a number of years I am really impressed. These early bikes look simple but making them really function rather than being trailer queens or wall hangers really takes alot of work and persistance. My only regret is having to wait for the spring issue to get more of the story! I am really interested in hearing about the intake cage situtation. I don't see how this arrangement held up under prolonged hard use with the limited or non oiling of valve. It seems like the valve spring should fry in no time at all. Again, hats off to Bruce and Calvin.
    John Hasty

My admiration for the "ride" is surpassed only by my hatred of a company that refused to acknowledge the incredible dedication it took for such a venture, on one of their products nonetheless. Not one mention in any of their multitude of 100-year (99 year) yuppie propaganda, it makes me sick to even think about it. Have a nice day.

Louie

Comment

they don't care about old bikes they only want you to buy their t-shirts.and new $ 30,000.00 bikes. joe

Comment

I agree also - It's really sad. On the upside. I did see Lonnie from Competition -Texas in one of the shots? I really liked the perspective that the story was written from also, great job!

From looking at the Harley-Ferguson annual report. It appears they would like you to buy new -and preferably finance your purchase with them also. Hummm....smart folks.

all kidding aside. I wonder if the marketing people were presented with a flexable package itinerary and tie-in promotional options? if they would have gone for it. I don't know what happened. I don't know all the facts. Maybe they were already - very busy?

I hear Bruce is coming out with an antique motorcycle exercise video. Titled: "Buns of Steel & Blisters". In the mean time maybe he has some more of those t-shirts for sale? Support your own!

Comment

Congratulations Bruce and Calvin marvellous achievement and I know exactly how you must feel.

H.D. seem totally uninterested in their history and heritage as seven of us Kiwi's found out after shipping our bikes halfway round the world and riding close on 4000 miles from Vancouver in Canada to Milwaukee only to be told by the head of the publicity department that we were not in their target market.

To be fair this warrants a detailed explanation.
          The seven of us riding bikes from 69 to 78 years of age arrived in Milwaukee on Saturday 23rd August and called round to Juneau Ave for an emotional, for us, arrival after 24 days on the road.

The following day we met with a H.D. motor company official, who shall remain nameless, who felt strongly that H.D. should use the fact that bikes of this age were still out there doing what they were intended to do even though they were as old as they were.
          He supplied me with the direct dail number of the person in charge of publicity who I rang on Monday morning only to be told they weren't interested as we didn't fall into their target market.
          To say I was shocked with this response is an understatement and as an avid Harley fan this really burst my bubble.

On the other side of the coin I must say the reception given to us along the way by the dealers was exceptional and the way they looked after us was magnificent.

The Blackhawk Chapter especially Wanda and her daughter also looked after us really well when we came down to Davenport on the Friday. Thanks everybody for making us so welcome.

Somehow I feel Harley has lost the plot and how they can totally ignore their past is beyond me.

My wife and I have come halfway round the world for two of their celebrations but I doubt very much that we will be back for a third after being treated like this, I think we'll find somewhere where we are wanted.

Regards, Tommo.

Comment

Wow. Another sad report. But a great trip!

What are these people at H-F thinking? A good marketing person could easily spin this from lip service into positive brand building. Maybe they let some schmucks handle the 100th party? Ahhh...who knows.

Maybe the time will come when you can buy a used fat boy or full dress for under 10K. The desire will bottom out, and many people will just give it up. Ahhh....who knows.

Your report sure shows a divide between dealers and head office. Really sad.

Bruce and Calvin pulled a mighty incredible journey. I think they're great! I'm real thankful for the coverage in the club magazine.

Comment

Do the folks at HD miss the boat sometimes? Certainly. We have a nice old fella that was a local Harley dealer for about 50 yrs, just turned 100 last year. A few people took it upon themselves to make mention of this to the folks at the motor company and they showed little or no interest. Why they would choose not to honor this man who lived and breathed Harley Davidson for half his lifetime is beyond me. Fortunately the AMCA will recognize Herb Yeske with a piece in the spring issue. We can't live in the past but we can remember it.

Comment

NOSDIVAD-YELRAH......

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!!....Bunch of Corporate...Yuppie.....WannaB's.......Most probably never rode a 'REAL' Harley!! You'd never catch them riding around on an 'OLD' Flathead, Knuckle or Pan.... never mind a Ironhead, kickstart, Magneto fired XLCH!!...Adjust the valves every how many miles!?.... change the oil when!?.....Adjust the Clutch WHERE!?... WHAT!!??....Wouldn't know the open end of a combination wrench if you hit them over the head with it!! Their idea of a good day motorcycling is buying a latest in fashion leather jacket while waiting on their NEWEST AND BESTEST YET EVO's to get loaded onto a trailer to bring home to thier garage before it rains!!....Yeah...THEY'RE BAAADD!!...DAMNED PENCIL PUSHING.... 'CORPORATE H-D'/ T-SHIRT IMPORTING/NICK-NACK SELLING/ DOLLAR COUNTING/DESIGNER JEANS WEARING...(PROBABLY THE SAME B*****DS THAT BOUGHT OUT LEVI'S JEANS AND SENT ALL THE WORK OVERSEAS!!)....SONS A B****ES!!....HEY HARLEY...don't talk 'HERITAGE' to me unless you really know what it means!! That's my Damn Opinion!! Oh and by the way...what LAME-BRAIN came up with the LACK-LUSTER...CHEAP IMITATION...OVERALL BAD DESIGN '100 YEAR ANNIVERSARY LOGO'........My 3 year old Neice could have drawn them a better one with her Crayons!!) ....Hey Bruce and Calvin, don't mind it if the 'CORPORATE BIG WIGS' blew you off...I mean after all, WHAT THE HELL do they know about MOTORCYCLES anyway!!.... ..Have A Nice Day!...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hey guys....different thought process....who blew who off??? Ever think that two true motorcycle enthusiast, having a passion for American Motorcycle History, from an engineering and riding point of view, DID NOT ALLOW CORPORATE AMERICA TO CAPITALIZE on their passion. I commend Bruce & Calvin for preparation, dedication, stamina, and prohibiting prosperity by anyone other than their own personal satisfaction of the accomplishment. Think about it...who blew who off...I think Bruce & Calvin are one up on them, by design
                  johnny

Comment

Damn Hrdly, calm down. It's not like it's the best motorcycle out there, just one of the most expensive. Besides they are still learning how to build them, like bolting the tranny to the motor, you know like Indian did about 60 years ago. Maybe next will be four cams with more chains inside the motor, boy I can't wait to get one of them four cammers! It will be rated at a whopping 60 HP, you know just like my '65 panhead! That's it, I'm selling my Harley's and buying a Honda Goldwing.

Louie

Comment

Sorry Louie, I guess I posted that one on the same day I read the article in the newspaper announcing Levi's closing of the last 2 U.S. plants!!!!.......B ST RDS!!!.... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hey Hrdly (Geroge)
                        You may of been having a bad day, buy you are still right about that 100 YR logo. Ugh--Lee.

Comment

Bruce & Calvin's Ride

It's interesting to see the passion some of our members have. Good for you! It would be nice if some people at HD would open a dialogue with club members or anyone for that matter in reference to their history. The new revelations about HD's early days are not earth-shattering but they are significant. I understand most decisions are made in the boardroom nowadays but there must be other alternatives.

HD, are you listening?

Comment

Remember, these are the people that considers 1984 Evo's antiques at their ride in bike shows.

Louie

Comment

Hi Guys:
                              Before you all set fire to your Harleys in disgust, consider that all the Company people may not all be knuckleheads of the type without two cylinders. Deeley imports, the exclusive Canadian distributor of HD have a museum of over 250 motorcycles of all makes open to the public for free, and you don't have to exit through the giftshop, because there isn't one. Also, Harley Davidson have a large collection of their own products which they are planning a museum for, and regularly cart them around the country for the enjoyment of the public.
                              Those of you who were at Davenport a couple of years ago may remember seeing AMCA members Scott Hall and Bud Redmond clowning around with their hillbilly style Hudson stake truck with a couple of rusty old Harleys in the back. They were "talent scouted" by Willy G., who hired them to appear at various centennial functions, including giving rides to surviving HD family members.
                              The big problem as I see it was that Bruce, Calvin, and Tommo's group needed their own "publicity agent". My regret is that the AMCA was asleep at the switch, as we could have provided that.
                              I have no axe to grind on this one, as I have three Indians, and only one Harley.
                              Cheers,
                              Pete Gagan

Comment

Working...
                              X