JD clincher tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD clincher tires

I will be installing my new 3.85X20 firestone coker clincher tires on my 27 JD soon and I am hoping that I could get some tips to keep the tires on the rims for some real road use. Some thoughts I had was to dull the paint shine in the rim, wash any mold release off the tire bead and sand the bead a little to roughen it up. I sure would hate for a tire to come flying off at 55 mph!!! Any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your kind time.

Hi There:
    Those suggestions of yours are all worthwhile. The main thing though, is to carry lots of air. 40 lbs or so would be my suggestion.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

Additonally it is best to use a 21" tube, seems to apply pressure on the tire better

Comment

Guys, Thanks for your input.

JWW, THe tubes that were sent by Coker are 4.00 X 19. Are you recommending that I not use these and get 3.00 X 21?

Comment

As stated, spinning a tire at 55 isn't fun, luckily was only doing 35 when the rear on my 29JD knotted up in the fender...not a pretty site. After all of my inquireys about clincher's I skuffed all bead surfaces, used a rim strip,found 3.00x21tubes, increased tire pressure to 50psi (wife ran out of the shop while i was pressuring up, had heard the boom before), and ran it cautiously for a few 100 miles. After a while built up enough nerve to back down to 40psi and going to leave it there. The oversized tube recommendation came from a fellow AMCA Member who has countless miles on a JD, 19" didn't work for me. Hope this helps
          johnny

Comment

hello i have just had a major problem with my new coker firestone non skid 28-3 i installed a new tire and tube inflated it to 40 pounds of air and halfway around the block on my 1917 F.
            i had a flat tore the value stem right out called coker tire for some info and they told me i must run 65 pounds of air in that tire. i went to 55 and it has worked great. joe

Comment

After thinking about it I believe I found 3.50x21 tubes but will look tonight and confirm. Bought them from JCWhitney, sure of that. Probably 1500 or so miles with no problems so far. JD's sure are a hoot to ride, plenty of go......plan for the stops. If you think you miss not having the front brake on your '27 that my '29 has, just drag a heel, much more positive effect than the front brake!
              johnny

Comment

hee-hee---I think the slang term for that is "pulling a Fred Flintstone".

Comment

How to decide on the correct tube size for your B.E. tyre

28 x 3 = a 22 inch rim.
                  The 3 inch designation on the tyre is the wall height, so 3 inches at the top plus 3 inches at the bottom = 6 inches. Subtract 6 inches from 28 to give you your rim size which is 22 inches.
                  22 inch tubes are readily available as they are the standard speedway long track rear wheel size. These tubes are heavy walled tubes and ideal to use in 28 x 3 tyres.
                  It's what I use all the time in any 28 x 3's I fit and have run them as low as 30 p.s.i. without any trouble. In saying that I have never used them in a Coker tyre as I always fit Dunlops.
                  Because these tubes sit nicely up in the tyre they also make it a lot easier to fit the tyre on the rim.
                  If you have trouble with them slipping on the rim put some belt dressing on the bead before you mount the tyre. This was a tip given to me by an old racing guy.
                  Hope this is of some use.
                  Tommo

Comment

I have came close to tossing my Power Plus down the road several times because of a rear tire tube failure.Very Scary.Since i started using a good quality dirt bike tube and checking the tire pressure before every ride,i havn't had any problem.Ask for a thorn proof tube.It is at least twice as thick as a normal tube and made of real rubber.The ones i use are supplied by Moose Dist.For the 28x3 i use a 300 x 21.I don't know if you can find a size that will work on the 385x 20,but i would at least try to find a tube made of good quality rubber.The all rubber tubes will actually leak down after a while so you need to check them before each ride.I inflate the rear to 50-55 pounds and the front 35 -45 pounds.I have never had a failure on the front.Also check the rear tire before every ride to make sure the bead is not rolling off of the rim.i have had this happen with white tires but not with black ones.

Comment

that is good to know about the white tires i just got three new ones for my 18 i have not mounted them yet but i will keep that in mind.thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X