Thinking about selling Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about selling Knucklehead

I hope you guys will not nail me too much. Unfortunately though, I think my Knucklehead project is beyond me or my capabilities. I see a few years to complete, while I'm wanting to ride now.
    Would it be too much to ask for advice on how much to ask for this motorcycle? I want to be fair, but I would also like enough for a down payment on a new Harley. I would prefer not to sell it to someone who does not appreciate the history and soul these bikes have, hence the question to fellow enthusiasts.
    The motorcycle is probably 85 to 90% complete. I know some of the parts are not original. It has a pair of mismatched engine cases, one dates '42 the other '47. Sheet metal is in good shape and the tanks are not rusted out. Frame is straight and original but has a few, shall I say, "funky" repairs.
    I've attached a picture and email for any questions, advice or inquiries. Thank you all so much for any information or help. This decision has not been easy to come by, believe me! I've had this bike in storage now for seven years, it's time.

Thanks, Gary gvski@uci.net

Sorry, here is the picture

Guess the pic did not attach, I'll try again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow! It looks real close to a rider? That's too bad your giving it up.
      I'm sure someone will make you an offer. I'm personally too chicken to buy anything unless I'm holding it in my hands. Or after maybe examining a ton of photos.

What's it missing to the best of your knowledge? or what specifically needs work.

Hummm...I'd look pretty good on that. Hee-hee.

Comment

This may not help but... probably one of the most important factors on these old knuckles and any other old harleys for that matter is the authenticity of the engine numbers. Are they original and correct. Palmers restoration book will help you on that. That is where a large portion of the value is in these old bikes. I would recommend that you have an expert with documented experience in antique harleys look at it in person and give you an appraisal before you sell it. If they offer to buy it from you then find another appraiser. I know thats not what you want to hear but old mostly original bikes like this can be very valuable. I agree with Admin guy, I would have to see it in person before I would give you my judgement as to what it is worth. From the pictures it looks like a restorers dream and is close to riding. As my old geology professor said about rocks, you need to get close to it and talk to it, ask it some questions, ask it how it feels, get to know it, then make a judgement of what it is.

Jim
        46 Knuckle

Comment

I'm going to try to get my scanner going tonight. Will post a few more pictures. As for what seems to be missing... wiring of any kind, foot boards, push rod tubes, a few internal carb parts, air cleaner parts, tool box and strap has been cut off frame that supported it, stainless strips on front fender and some on rear, horn, cylinders (those in the picture are worn out panhead cylinders I've been told), pistons, muffler, and side-stand. Bear in mind these are the things my novice eye can tell. I have several cans of spare nuts, bolts, clips, small parts. Some or maybe all of them go to this bike... not sure? Sheet metal is in good shape except rear side panel on fender has a chunk missing. Rear fender has what appears to be a door hinge bolted between front and rear halves. Tanks are not rusted out and very solid. forks and frame are straight. Strange... rear tire holds air! I think the front forks might be later model though, it has a monroe shock absorber instead of a "ride-control". Oil/battery tank is not rusted out under tray. Sorry if I've bored everyone with details, but there you have it! Thanks... Gary

Comment

Working...
          X