Bosch and Berling magnetos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch and Berling magnetos

Does anybody know what Bosch (or Berling) magneto was fitted on 1916 Excelsiors, without generators?

The parts manual shows either brand of mag could be installed, but it doesn't list what model or part number they are. I've seen a million Bosch mags on ebay, but I don't have any idea which one would fit my bike.

thanks for any info you can share.
    pete

Bosch Magneto Info

A 1916 Excelsior, with a Bosch magneto. The particulars of the magneto are; Type- ZEV, 45 degree, right hand (turn).

Comment

Bosch Mag Details

This may assist in getting the right Bosch mag for the job.

Z = closed magnet. ( D = open magnet )
      E = 45 m.m. spindle height. ( A = 35 m.m. spindle height)
      V = vee twin ( 1 = single cyl, 2 = 180 degree twin. )
      Slip ring determines whether the mag is 42/ 45/ 50 degrees.

D series mags with open magnets generally finished in 1911 although you will find some 1912 models fitted with them.

I do have a list of serial numbers for Bosch mags from 1900 to 1915 and could post them if readers think its necessary.

1915 Bosch mags started from serial number 1798093.

Examples: DA1 is an open magnet,35 m.m. spindle height, single cylinder mag and the ZEV is a closed magnet, 45m.m. spindle height, vee twin mag.

Does this sort of trivia interest people

Tommo.

Comment

It interests me! ... Perry

Comment

Magneto

I have a ZEV CCW and CW if needed, restored.

Also a Sims and Berling for the later Henderson...

But Tommo very interesting information there....

Also will be in your neck of the woods in August - may pop it.

JP

Comment

Correction?

Doesn't the cam determine what Degree the magneto runs at?

Comment

I just got this email from an AMCA friend:

You wil need a Bosch ZEV. You already know that it takes a 45 degree cam. The timing of the magneto is determined by the spark interupter housing. There will be 2 cams inside it. On the arm that is attached for the spark advance cable it will be stamped 45, 42, or 50 degrees depending on the mag. Also A for counterclockwise (anticlockwise) or C for clockwise. I can't remember if a 1916 Excelsior uses a clockwise or counterclockwise mag but it should be easy to determine if you have the motor in front of you. Any Bosch ZEV will do BUT you need the correct interupter. Also there is one other variable. The interupter will have a slot at 12 oclock then the advance arm will be at 3 oclock or 9 oclock. This isn't a critical factor but if you are running the advance cable in front of the frame down tube it will take one if it is run behind the tube it will take the other.

So, does anybody have a ZEV 45 C for sale?

thanks
              pete

Comment

Sorry

I was thinking Splitdorf and Dixie - not Bosch

Comment

Sorry about the mis-use of the phrase Slip-ring.
                  Cam-ring, Interupter housing etc all describe the same thing and because on most mags they are very easy to slip off we tend to call them slip rings. Not quite the right term I know but when typing away on this thing it's all too easy to think that whoever reads it will know exactly what you mean and the use of local jargon only confuses the issue. Sorry about that, I'll be more careful in future.
                  Regards, Tommo.

Comment

To tommo

NO NO Tommo - I read too much in to it!

No apology needed - hell, we speak the same tongue - the only difference is "six" lol (New Zealander /Australian joke)

NZ say "SEX" for "SIX"

Did you see my "new" BSA? - look in "your photo's" in the forum

JP

Comment

bosch mags

Hi people,

I have a question about Bosch mags.. here goes: I have a 1908 Indian mag ignition single I'm working on, but it was missing the mag when I got it. There are different versions of the Bosch DA2 which I believe is the correct model for my bike. Some have adjustable timing (advance and retard) while others (of which I have two) don't have the timing arm..... which is the one I need?????? I found a DA 2 with the timing arm, but the current owner doesn't know how much he wants for it yet (btw, it doesn't spark but is not frozen and looks to be very good shape at least from pics). Thanks for any help.
                      -Mike Carver

Comment

Hi McCarver:
                        You should have a mag with adjustable timing, but could likely convert one of the ones you have. The cam ring holder off the later and more common ZE series will fit, I believe.
                        Theoretically its a DA1 mag you require. A DA2 is for a flat (180 degree) twin, but again, things can be changed if the lettering doesn't offend you.
                        Cheers,
                        Pete Gagan

Comment

magnetos

Thanks Pete,

I seem to keep finding DA2 mags, but have never seen a DA1. What engines or vehicles did the DA2 versions come on originally? Were they used on hit and miss engines? Other brands of motorcycles? Other vehicle engines? They seem to be more common. I have one good DA2 with a good hot spark (owww!!) and one that is probably best for parts. I also need a carb, but am somewhat shocked by how much Hedstrom carbs have been fetching lately. I suppose Breeze carbs are just as dear. What model of Schebler would be from the 1908 to 1909 era that could be used on an Indian single? I've attached a couple pics of the project.
                          -Mike Carver
                          Attached Files

Comment

another
                            Attached Files

Comment

and another

Comment

Working...
                              X