Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 bolt cylinders

hay guys,
    hoping somebody can pass on some wisdom and teach me somthing. Going through 7 sets of 7 bolt 45" cylinders with the "T" manifold (inlet pipe). I notice some sets have vertical fins cast into them under the intake valve, some don't, some were attacked with a hand grinder somewere in life. Were cylinders made without these fins? The set without looks like they were never in there. Other then the 1-29 and 1-32 numbers is there a code to the numbers on the cast plate(5-15,11-2,8-8)? I got inside measurements from 1.170 to 1.220 on the inlet nipples,most sets are withen .010 of each other. So were the fins ground off and the intakes opened up by guys looking for the edge, or are there more then one version cylinder from harley? Last what is the best way to restore oversize head stud holes?
    Thank you......ya want to talk about the heads?

7 stud cylinders

Hi there Rudy,
    I'm no expert on early 45's but I do have 3 N.O.S. cylinder barrels and heads. They are all rear ones and have the following cast on them respectively, 1-29 triangle followed by the letter M, 1-29 followed by the letter W and 1-29 triangle. They all have three small fins under the inlet valve that are of varying sizes depending on how enthusiastic the person in the factory cutting the valve seats got. The bores of the inlet nipple on all three are 15/16 of an inch. I've got no idea what-so-ever as to the exact part number for these cylinders as all thats left of the original tag is the wire that held it on and the reinforced hole end of the tag. All three cylinder heads are exactly the same and do not have the priming cock bosses drilled.
    I make a stepped stud when repairing any cylinder that has oversize or stripped holes and ensure when the stud is screwed home that the step is below the cylinder barrel surface. Some hi-temp Loctite will ensure it stays put.
    When you make your stepped stud measure exactly the depth of the threaded portion of the cylinder you are repairing and then make a dummy nut the same length and tap a thread in it using the same tap you used in the cylinder, then when making the stepped stud you have a dummy,for want of a better word,nut that you use to ensure the stud has a tight thread when you screw it into the barrel.
    Hope this helps.
    Tommo.

Comment

7 bolt cylinders

Thanks for the reply, i wonder if the 15/16' inlet is for a DL, (anybody know for sure?). I did take out some steped studs, was wondering if the holes can be brought back to the stock size? on the heads, with no spell check, i better pe-type what iam trying to say,( bottom half of class of 76). Thanks

Comment

looking over some 7-stud 45" heads, just got more confused. i got -3- different heads. like Tommo's ,i got a set with the prime boss not drilled, this set has no patd.date, but has the deepest valve pocket of them all at .840 deep. the most common head i have is marked 5.5 (my 1935 and 36 parts book says this is a high compression) and has a valve pocket of .570 deep, also has patd, date11-13-23. The last set is marked 6.8, the book says low compression, But it has High comp. cast into the under side of the fin. it sits .300 higher then the other 2 sets, and has 4 fins cast 90 degrees to all the other fins. also patd. 11-13-23 is cast on the head. I got -2- sets of cams with .315 to .355 lift. Can anybody help me out with this? going to try to attach a picture. Thanks.......the picture's not going to work, sorry

Comment

Working...
        X