Members In The Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members In The Movies

Just finished watching a relatively new movie in which appear a couple of old Harley Motorcycles. This got me thinking. How many of our AMCA Members bikes have appeared in any other Major and/or Independent Films over the years. Would like to hear their stories. Has there ever been requests from any of the Movies/TV Studios to enlist the use of AMCA Members vehicles in previous or up-coming feature films?? Later..... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Film: The Majestic.

Two members from California. Can you identify them? One of them shaved his beard for this shot.
    Attached Files

Comment

No. 2
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi All:
        The movie stars were Vince Martinico and, I believe, Red Fred. Vince had to shave his beard.
        A few years ago, a 1915 Indian I had starred in the movie "Days of Heaven", a long winded film about migrant farm workers in Texas, (filmed in Alberta) and staring Richard Gere, who couldn't drive a nail, let alone a motorcycle. I spend hours trying to teach him, and finally set him loose, through the camera's eye, and had a couple of stage hands catch him at the other end. Thankfully, it had a sidecar, otherwise it would have been impossible.
        This led to me becoming involved in the movie "Supermen" which was also partially filmed in Albberta where I lived at the time. Barons Alberta was Smallville KS. A whizzer I had was used by Jimmy Olsen, the cub reporter for the Daily Planet.
        Pete Gagan

Comment

That's funny Pete! Never could watch any movie that Gere was in, but if it comes up on cable, I'll have try to leave it on (while I'm working the computer) until that part comes up. It reminds me of when Henry Winkler was interviewed once and he stated that he never could ride a motorcycle, even as The Fonz, the TV Crew would have to pull him along thru the Scenes that called for him to ride the Harley/Triumph. Course Winkler as The Fonz was 'COOOOL' where as Gere is just damn 'BOORRRING'!......Later... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Gee - Gere seems to handle a bike OK in "An Officer and a Gentleman" ... Perry

Comment

Didn't the Ottaway Clan supply and help with. Fast Charlie... the Moonbeam Rider - (1979). Did Bud Cox supply also? I'll have to ask him. I think he did.

It's time for a board track movie!!!

Comment

Actually, Perry, Gere looked like he handled the Indian well in "Days of Heaven" after the film editors got done with it. Steve McQueen looked magnificent jumping the fence in the "Great Escape". but it was AMCA member Bud Ekins.
                As to the inprobable, in Days of Heaven, the Indian is ambushed by the "villain", and a fight ensues over "the girl", and Gere rips a spoke out of the front wheel of the bike, and stabs the other guy through the heart with it. An unusual motorcycle fatality.
                Pete

Comment

There's an answer to an unasked question in a nutshell! There are those who Act the part and those who live the part. Gere is just another Hollyweird actor. Likely he was scared of the machine (like a lot of other wannabees.) But Steve McQueen lived the life and would have attempted to make the jump, succeed or fail, doesn't matter. But for those damned Wannabees Insurance/Studio limpwrists we'll never know! As for me, I've been known to rip a few spokes out now and then (Both times as I went headlong over the handlebars and crashing (did I say Crashing...EEEK!) while 'Acting' badly on the street! Well at least I had the good manners not to go poking anybody with the damn spoke!! (Didn't need a bad Script writer neither!) Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Moonbeam Rider with David Carridine is really a neat little movie. If you can get a copy of it, buy it! Lots of old bikes, dirt, oil and some drinking and old time fist-a-cuffs!! I have a couple of original movie lobby cards. I'll try to scan them to this thread, but I might need one of you guys to re-size them for me (still can't get the hang of that!) A Board Track Movie would definitely be great! Wouldn't have to make up to much Hollywood crap as those guys and those times were really exciting! What young motorcycle rider of the time wouldn't want to throw his leg over an Excelsior, Indian or Harley and fly up that embankment at full throttle!! WOW!!..... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

The Great Escape footage was very impressive. My overall impression of McQueen's riding style was that he muscled the machine rather than to finesse it. It worked great and looked great. I think you can go a lot further if you let the machine do most the work, though.

Comment

I have a couple of the Moon Beam Rider original Lobby cards scanned to my Pictures File. One of them shows a group of the Extras with their Motorcycles. Anybody want to re-size and e'mail back to me. I'll post it on this thread or you can submit yourself. Maybe we can pick out a Member or two... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I'll betcha I could get every single guy in that photo named. Send it to me. Pls.

I never really got the impression that Steve McQueen was a road racer. Some times also I guess -riders are asked to do stuff to make it LOOK more dramatic that it acually is. Steve McQueen did a ton of PR work for American M/C. I'm really thankful.

Comment

I was just yakin with "THE INFAMOUS" Bud Cox via email. He was one of the extras in the big Moon Beam race scene. He's got some neat behind the scenes stories about that movie.

The Movie "Fast Charlie, the Moonbeam Rider" was originally named "The
                            Moonbeam Rider". That was what they called the super fast racer, ridden by
                            the "good Guy". It really was a single cylinder Bennelli , or something like
                            that, and they had a lot of cardboard cutouts taped on to look like old
                            style tanks, forks, etc. It basically ran against an Indian Scout and a good
                            45" Harley. Plus about 24 genuine antique motorcycles. One of which was
                            ridden by Bud Cox. That was a genuine factory Indian Racer, 1912 single cylinder.

I'm going to try to get Bud to talk about the movie a bit here on the board. Now that I'm very aware HE CAN type. Hee-hee.

Comment

OK, This is from Bud. He's still playing around with the forum and such. Ahhh...Bud Ekins the stunt man-CA, Great Escape jump, Bullit. Friend in Wichita would be Ottaway- me thinks. Flying eyeball- Von Dutch I think.

The Movie; The well known "Bud " Ekins contacted a friend in Wichita, who
                              asked me to go with him to Oklahama where they were starting to make "Fast Charlie". We loaded up about 20 or so antique motorcycles, and met Ekins at Lawton, OK. Ekins had brought 24 machines from California. He also had a helper called "Dutch". They enlisted a Moto-Cross club and hired as many riders as were needed. When we were at the scene, riders were selected and lined up in a row in order to have dirt blown into their faces. This gave a good appearance of having been on a dirt track for many laps. Our clothing was furnished, and was smeared with grease and grime. We actually rolled in the dirt. We were required to wear the same clothing during all the filming. After a few days of riding, I was getting some blisters, so I attached a
                              large piece of foam rubber to the seat. This did not pass inspection, so I
                              had to put it inside my pants. It proved to be almost to bulky to be
                              usable, but I coped. I could talk for days about the experiences. We enjoyed
                              almost all of the happenings. Thanks. E"B"C

Do you want to hear more?

Now me talking; I hear Von Dutch logo & wordmark has been licenced and is selling in CA. So if you see a young teenage girl w/ a flying eyball logo on her shirt - don't be so surprised. It amazes me. I wonder if any of these people accually know who/what/how Von Dutch was really all about. His charming personality, and habits, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X