What is the proper tire tread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper tire tread?

I have a 1922 JD. Does anyone know the proper tire tread for this year? Is the white "button" tread the right one? Or should it be a standard tread tire or are either OK?

HD JD Tires

You've probably seen these pictures, and they are of a 1921 and a '23 model JD instead of a '22, and you can't see too much detail in the tires, and for all we know the tires in the pictures are not correct, but hey, other than those several qualifications to my "I don't know answer," do you feel any closer to the truth?

www.autogallery.org.ru/harley (1923) (2 views same line)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/CO/HI...istory1920.asp (1921)

Comment

Tyres for 1922.

The H.D. Motorcycle Order Form for 1922 lists the following options.
      QUOTE: "Firestone Non-Skid.
      All Weather Tread Goodyear Blue Streak.
      Goodrich Safety Tread.
      U.S. Traxion Tread.
      We reserve the right to furnish any standard make of tyre"
      UNQUOTE:
      This is an extract from the book "The Legend Begins" an official H.D. Motor Company Publication.
      It seems Harley were hedging their bets with regard supply of tyres and if any or all of the four named ones weren't available at the time of dispatch they reserved the right to fit whatever they wished.
      So long as it's a tyre of the period or a copy of a tyre of the period I would think that going by this information nobody would be able to argue as to whether or not a certain tyre was correct or not, especially when considering the last sentence in the quote.
      Hope this helps.

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards, Tommo.

Comment

White non-skids wear quickly if you plan to ride it. They look great for display. I've often wondered why people don't swap out for road runs? Well, that is the look - and they look great.

Coker Tire.

Is raw rubber white or red? Or niether? Sap colored I guess. Sorry -thinking out loud. Hey! Rubber sap is white isn't it?

Comment

Working...
        X