Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville 12 Volt Electrics

Antique Bikers:

Help me settle a disagreement between 2 authors of articles/books on Triumphs as to the year they (the Bonneville that is) first were equipped with 12 volt electrics. A book by Cane says 1966 while a long article on the Internet by Ian Chadwick lists that change as one of the innovations in 1964. The dispute has arisen in the www.classicbike.net forum because it was the first answer to a quiz created on that site for our members.

Who among you has unrestored Triumphs of that vintage to resolve the dispute?

Roy, the Nightrider[

John Nelson says 1966. So I'll bet big money on that.

Comment

1966 says the studio audience

Thanks, Paul.

Your cite to Nelson made it 3 votes for 1966 (with Timothy Remus and Gerard Cane) to one vote for 1964 (Ian Chadwick). So the guy who answered '66 on the quiz won (big deal, no real prizes). I appreciate your quick response.

Roy

Comment

12 Volt Right & Wrong

If you read Roy Bacons Book on Restoration you will find on page 109 this & I Quote "Twin 6 Volts on a 6T in 1964 the First Year for 12 Volt & by 1966 it applied to All Models." Although Our original 1965 Bonnie had 12Volt & Our newly restored 65 Bonnie came to us with 12 Volt, also a friend of ours has an untouched 65 Bonnie that has 12 Volts. Our Bonnie is a late in the year # so it seems they were switching over towards the end of the year. Brits are known to confuse us!

Comment

Confusing is right!

Thanks for further muddying the waters! This will stir more froth in the other web forum I participate in (www.classicbike.net) because we already have awarded and retracted the prize for winning this quiz question couple of times. (That site is made up of mostly British and Australian members, with a few of us token Yanks).

Seriously, thanks for the additional info.

Roy

Comment

Working...
          X