? on '65 Outer Primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on '65 Outer Primary

I'm working on a '65 pan project (I had one 30 years ago) and I've run into a question on the new-for-'65 primaries, in particular the outer. I've seen examples with an inspection(?) port & plug at the location of the end of the crank (Greg Field's book). I have two primary sets which I believe to be correct, with no forward port/plug(s). I don't find this plug in any of my parts books. I was informed that this primary was a '65-only (or an original specification on these units) application, yet I've seen examples that do not have this feature. If so, was it continued through the model year? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thx.

Kurt@KKF

Kurt - my understanding is that the plug was used for all 65s and into early 66. The part number for the plug is 60564-65. I had an NOS plug at one time but threw it in with a 65 only generator that I sold (the generator on a 65 is a model 65 not a 65A). The purpose of the plug is to allow access to the grease nipple on the compensating sprocket ... Perry

Comment

Thx, Perry. Do you know if the part # of the primary the same for both types? I sure wish I could have handled that plug! The F/S case I'm looking at has the plug installed, but it's been welded at the footboard mounting tab.
      Thx.http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citym...page/42616.htm

Comment

Kurt - I don't believe the part number changed. If you look at the inside of an original without the plug you'll see the reinforcement boss still cast in, so I think it's a simple machine operation to drill and thread ... Perry

Comment

Thx, Perry! That looks like my option, and thanks for the additional lead on the plug. A one-year bike was my quest. I've learned a lot. My '65 EG was one that I should have not let get away. I think we've all had those! This is a work in-process. I purchased it as a roller from a friend who originally owned this '65. The front end is a '66 or '67, I think, as the fender is too narrow for that beautiful 'V' fender tip. I found out the '65 retained the Duo front fender (last year for this), and just recently found a wide f. fender to work up for my project. The chronological evolution is found in the 'Swamp' photo album (link above) at my website. Thx, again.

Comment

Kurt!

To tap for that inspection hole you will need a special thread tap (exactly which I would have to measure) easily obtained from http://www.mscindustrial.com

The easiest way to locate where to put it is from the wear marks that are so often found from the compensator upon the inside of the cover.

I really don't think the early chubble front fenders were that much narrower, but the old practice of industrial sandblasting has caved many of them in so far that nothing fitz right.

Comment

Danny was able to fix me up. Thx! When I get my plug, I'll have my dimensions/pitch and I'll set it up. I have a sprocket mark on the chromed primary, notso on the as-cast set I have. From all the pics I have, it will not be difficult to lay out the hole location once I get the cover up on the mill. I order from MSC all the time (for the last 12 years), as I have a fully equipped machine shop here at KKF (I used to work in the QuadCity area), and my business keeps me busy in special threadings. I may already have the tap (one never does). Re: Fenders- I found it odd that the 'V' fender tip was too wide for the fender on the bike. The application is 59-66 (I think) for this tip, lending creedence to my thinking that the current setup/f. fender I have is a ' 67 or later. It also has the later lower fender trim as you can see in the pics, and the 'Shield' f. fender tip I picked up later went on perfectly. There's @1/4" difference in width between to two pressings. Then it's on to a rear fender... Building bikes (this one in particular) keeps me sane from the firearms industry. Who knows, maybe I'll make it to Eustis (it's just one county over), if it doesn't rain! I picked up my seat post & T-bar there last year. Thx.

Kurt@KKF

Comment

This question in regard to the generator for 1965; In Palmer's book (which basically covers up to '64), he mentions that the field body and 2-brush encaps are painted black, yet in the next sentence states that the aluminum end caps/plates are bead blasted & left natural. So, my question pertions to whether the aluminum ends of my generator I picked up should be bead-blasted natural aluminum. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Comment

I know of no endcaps for 2-brush generators made of aluminum until modern times,...like late sportster stuff maybe.

Both Model 65 and Model 65a had castiron endcaps.

Comment

I agree with Cotten - if your generator has an aluminum end casting you have the wrong generator for a 65 ... Perry

Comment

Thx! It was represented as a 12V 65A generator on ebay. This generator body is marked with a large C between the posts, with the # 408 beneath it. It looks like I'll go back to my original supplier for the RIGHT one. I'll rebuild this one and take it to Webster.

Comment

"To tap for that inspection hole you will need a special thread tap (exactly which I would have to measure) easily obtained from"

I received my plug from Danny. Many thanks! Threading is 7/8-14, the same as cartridge reloading dies.

Comment

Working...
                        X