Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field judges wanted

Hey guys,
    I'm sure this is a topic everyone can benefit from.
    Those of us who are trying to restore antique motorcycles
    to perfection, there are many gray zones. I know we would
    all prefer to do the job correctly, the first time, and that's why
    I'm requesting field judges lend their knowledge to the restorer.

Here are just three questions that I need a response to.
    1. 1953 FLE aside from the vin number, the only source I have that may identify the approximate date the machine was assembled at the factory are frame stampings. My frame id is C53. Transmission cover lid screws should they be straight slot or phillips head?

2. gear case generator mounting screws should they be straight slot or phillips head?

3. regarding parkerization, I know the factory performed hot parkerization. Current restorers, I believe, only have cold parkerization. My question, is black oxide coating the same as hot
    parkerization coating?

Anticipating feedback from the chief judges of the AMC.

Pete

1953 PANHEAD

C53 STAMPED IN YOUR FRAME SPEEDO MOUNT MEANS THAT YOUR FRAME WAS FOUNDED IN MARCH 1953, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR BIKE WAS MADE IN THAT MONTH...PARKERIZING THE HOT METHOD (MANGANESE PHOSPHATE) IS AVAILABLE AT PALMETTO ENTERPRISES (864-2463836)
    COMES WITH COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS.....I HAVE A 99 POINT 1960 FLH WHICH CAME STOCK WITH PHILLIPS SCREWS IN THE TRANSMISSION COVER......BRUCE PALMERS BOOK-HOW TO RESTORE YOUR HARLEY-DAVIDSON....WAS A REAL HELP FOR ME, ALSO ALOT OF THE MEMBERS OF THE YANKEE CHARTER OF THE AMCA WERE GGGGGRRRREAT!!! I HOPED I HAVE HELPED BECAUSE SOMEONE ALWAYS HELPED ME.......

Comment

Manganese Phosphate is the "cold process" even though it is done at 190 degrees F. The "hot process" is done at almost triple the temp. Definately get Palmers book, there are mistakes but it is the best available to this point.

Comment

F judges

Pan man&Fat doggie

Thankyou guys for the reply sorry took so long to chime in.I have
        used palmers book in the past & continue to do so.I agree W/ fat
        dog re the park process, was curious about black oxide also still
        seeking feedback.Have prevously also had 2senior bikes.Maby take topic to gen discussion?
        Pete

Comment

Working...
        X