Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molasses -gentil rust stripper.

Given the appropriate precautions, sand, bead or other media blasting,
    caustic or acid stripping, organic sovent (methyene chloride, etc.,)
    stripping and sheer brute force wire wheel or brush and abrasive discs
    all work for particular cases.

One method not mentioned is the use of molasses and water solution (1 lb. of molassses to 1 Imp. gallon of warm water). Soaking rusted metal parts for up to several weeks in this solution will convert the red iron oxide to black
    iron oxide which can then be brushed away. Paint which is still on the part will not be removed. (Parts should be degreased first before putting them in the molasses/ water mixture) This works well on rusty tools, springs, gears and other machined parts where acid or caustic
    treatment might affect the steel strength and blasting or abrasive
    methods alter the dimensions of a part.

I check the progress of de-rusting every few days, brushing off the part
    and checking it. When a part is clean, it should be removed, washed well
    with clean water and dried.

Once removed and washed with clean water, the now derusted parts must be oiled or painted within minutes as the re-rusting process starts almost
    immediately.

The solution can be made up in large quantity for things like frames and
    tanks. I use a large plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid as
    eventually the molasses/water solution wants to ferment in hot weather.
    Disposal would be safe in any sewage system as it is only a sugar/water
    solution.

Allan Johnson c.1998
    Thanks Allan - I just dug this up and reposted it here. I remembered reading it a few years back. An oldie but a goodie. Thought it may be helpful to a few folks. Esp. those with light sheet metal, or original paint.

11 pounds of blackstrap feedgrade molasses is approx. $6 USD. You can buy it at rural pet food/feed stores. Good strong container - just scrub and chuck your stuff in. Well, I skimmed a pound off into a smaller container for small parts. Some folks at inner city heath food stores may sell it, possibly labled as "raw" blackstrap.

Comment

I tried it - and it worked. Took two chipped layers of brushed on enamel off and left behind the original paint (1940). Very neat how easily it came off. Be aware that if you have rust creaping under original paint it will take that off.

I left a part out for a day wet and it rusted right back up. But without the brushed on paint.

I would also strongly recommend removing after two weeks and giving a scrub to remove the heavy stuff. Then back in for 2 weeks. This is a really good process for light sheet metal or small parts with tight recesses. Otherwise I'd just blast it or wire wheel.

Now I need to make some cornbread biscuits and chili after smelling that stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X